• Social Relationships

    by Published on August 16th, 2014 10:28 PM

    Alcohol is a colorless, volatile, flammable liquid that is the intoxicating portion of wine, beer, and liquor. It is also used as an industrial solvent and as fuel. Alcohol affects all parts of the body in different ways. The majority of alcohol is absorbed into the liver, which is responsible for breaking it down. Alcohol that is not broken down by the liver goes to the rest of the body, including the brain. About 20% is absorbed directly into the blood through the stomach and the other 80% is absorbed through the small intestine into the bloodstream. People who drink heavily for a long time may develop diseases such as: Liver inflammation (alcohol hepatitis) or severe liver scarring (Cirrhosis) and a variety of other problems such as fatty liver (Steatosis) and thickening/scarring of connective tissue (Fibrosis). Many of these diseases become chronic and could ultimately cause death.
    by Published on July 21st, 2013 12:56 PM  Number of Views: 6667 
    Article Preview

    THE BASIC LAWS OF HUMAN STUPIDITY Published in 1976 by an Italian economist. Professor Carlo M Cipolla The first basic law of human stupidity asserts without ambiguity that: Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation. At first, the statement sounds trivial, vague and horribly ungenerous. Closer scrutiny will however reveal its realistic veracity. No matter how high are one's estimates of human stupidity, one is repeatedly and recurrently startled by the fact that:
    1. People whom one had once judged rational and intelligent turn out to be unashamedly stupid.
    2. Day after day, with unceasing monotony, one is harassed in one's activities by stupid individuals who appear suddenly and unexpectedly in the most inconvenient places and at the most improbable moments.
    The First Basic Law prevents me from attributing a specific numerical value to the fraction of stupid people within the total population: any numerical estimate would turn out to be an underestimate. Thus in the following pages I will denote the fraction of stupid people within a population by the symbol σ. ...
    Published on January 1st, 2013 12:11 AM  Number of Views: 5545 

    Plautus once wrote, "Nothing but Heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."

    The truth of the matter is that we all go through life with people with whom we share friendships, but when we need genuine friends, they are scarce. The sad truth is that, when you reach the end of this journey called "life", you will very likely look back and count on one hand the number of true friends you had during this journey. ...