Thread: Looking for the St. Johns County Agricultural Fair ? It Aint happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

Unhappy Looking for the St. Johns County Agricultural Fair ? It Aint happening.

Fair Organizers say that they are afraid there would be no money to advertise the event in 2012 if this years fair failed to garner attendance. Its very sad that Local businesses did not offer any sponsorship. what happened to putting back into the community ?
    It should have been coming up in the next week 2011 - October 18-23 2012 - October 23-28 so I went looking for details and found that the website is just a ghost of last years event http://www.stjohnsfair.com/

So a little more looking I find this article
    Organizers cancel St. Johns County Fair

Posted: July 28, 2011 - 9:35am

By Peter Guinta
    Organizers of the St. Johns County fair said Wednesday that the flashing neon, popping corn, Ferris wheel, dairy goat exhibition, cotton candy, prize rabbits and vomit-inducing roller coaster rides won't be there this October because the fair has been canceled this year.

Dr. Fred Springer, a veterinarian with offices in Elkton and St. Augustine, has served as the volunteer fair manager for the past five years.
    "The fair started with the premise of giving our youth a place to show their 4-H projects," he said. "The poor economy is to blame [for it closing]. [Financing] is entirely based on sponsorship. Last year, we had zero cash sponsorship."

Every year for the last seven years, the fair made just enough to put on next year's fair.

Springer said that there's enough money to put on a fair this year, he said. But if that's spent, there's nothing for 2012 and he fears that the fair might close for good.

"[The decision to close] is completely based on the economy and people's perception of the economy. We've got to get people to come to the fair," he said.

Mounting the St. Johns County Fair costs between $50,000 and $55,000.

That's enough money that the Fair Board can afford to hire outside entertainment, such as popular, patriotic or country-oriented musical groups.

But last year, the fair had only $35,000 to spend and there was no entertainment, which hurt attendance.

In good years, attendance ranged from 10,000 to 12,000. When a fair visitor buys an armband for $10, they get as many Midway rides as they want for free.
    That $10 is split between the fair and the Midway, with the fair getting only $2.

"For the past seven years, it's been by the skin of our teeth," Springer said. "For years we had nothing."

Board member Jim Dilbeck of Vilano Beach said the Fair Board hasn't met at all this year. But, he added, had it not been for Springer, there would be no St. Johns County fair.

"It's an awesome job to run that fair," Dilbeck said. "When [Springer] first took it on, he full-time worked on it a month. He's done a great job."

But Springer said he needed to work on his personal businesses, the Ancient City Veterinary Hospital on State Road 207 in St. Augustine and Tri-County Veterinarians on S.R. 207, across from the Fairgrounds.

"The economy hurts me, too," he said. "[The fair's] a ton of work. A lot of money was coming out of my pocket so I could work for free. It just about killed me. But I hope the economic times improve and we can get it back in the future."

peter.guinta@staugustine.com

Smile cause your a Cracker now

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is just sad that no corporations stepped up to help. As of today the Clay County fair is still scheduled for April 2012. Also:
    2011 Greater Jacksonville Fair

Date(s): Wednesday, 02 November 2011 - Sunday, 13 November 2011Venue: Jacksonville Fair Grounds

This is a county that just layed off a bunch of deputies and city employees. Yet the fair goes on.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a shame, it is a really nice fair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its not fair..................
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
    ~Don't even think about it! ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

I think this is just another affect of corperations that rape the comunity and don't give a damn you know the big box stores that have ran small locals out of town.
    Thumbs Up Seahorse liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

very unfortunate..
    I'm only responsible for what I say,not how you understand it..

Post Thanks / Like

Fair organizers could explain this on the website instead of just leaving last years information up. sounds to me like apathy. people just have forgotton what a fair is about, showing off your crops and taking pride in things we produce. we as a people don't really produce much these days do we ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Northeast Florida Fair is this weekend! http://www.neflfair.org/

About The Northeast Florida Fair:
    The Northeast Florida Fair is an annual educational,
    entertaining, and agricultural related event which includes:

Beef Cattle • Dairy Cattle • Poultry • Rabbits • Hogs • Horses • Sheep • Goats • Farm Products
    Horticulture • 4-H & FFA Youth • Home Economics • Arts & Crafts • School Exhibits • Midway
    Entertainment For Everyone • Rodeo • Petting Zoo • Beauty Pageant • Judging Contests
    Talent Show • Livestock Shows • Table Setting Contest • Games • Food • Much More!
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

Oh fortuna
    Velut luna
    Statu variablis
    Semper crescis
    Aut decrescis
    I am headed in the opposite direction to se Carmen burana in St Pete. I would have liked to have made it but this opera doesn't come round often and its my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I went to the SJCF in 2008. Sadly to say it was dismal at best.

$5 to enter and we saw everything, including the frisbee dog show, within 1 hour. Very boring.

But there were a lot of goats. And I mean a lot of goats.

There were more goats than humans. Still very boring.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Post Thanks / Like

It hard to meet expectations if your looking for universal studios, A county fair isn't suposed to be las vegas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

My mom expressed a lot of dismay at the state the local fairs in Oklahoma had become. We always participated each year with crafts and crops and sometimes showed animals. And the OKC fair is one of the largest in the world, But that has went to the by-side as there are so many other things to occupy youth so those parts have declined and that and the food on the midway is my favorite part. I am not a big carnival ride guy I like roller coasters .