Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

$ 300.00 Tax credit for 2011! Cool! Did you see that Root?

http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pum...tification.pdf

Thanks Stumpy! This won't do me any good this year but I'm sure anyone reading this that bought a water heater this year will appreciate it. Name:  well-done.gif
Views: 53
Size:  1.9 KB
    Thanks ROOT thanked for this post

Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been on my to do list for months, I will definitely drain it after the holidays. Root do you want me to run a hose over from my house to your house? We can rig it up to the hot water some how or you can come over to do laundry and shower. I will give you a key. Just make noise when you come in so you do not scare the hell out of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a $1,000 solar wh rebate from FPL
    http://www.fpl.com/landing/solar_reb...tial_swh.shtml

And here is info on tax incentives for energy efficiency from the IRS
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...154657,00.html

See also eere.energy.gov for more incentives.
    Likes Jane Doe, Jeannie liked this post
    Thanks ROOT thanked for this post

Googlemeister Disco Bowling Champion
    PALM COAST, Florida "The Greatest Place on Earth"
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy McDugal View Post
    If I remember correctly, LP instant hot water systems are more efficient and cost-effective.

Jane, since you still have time, research 'heat pump water heaters'. These are the new super efficient Energy Star rated models. They are more expensive, but the electric savings was $61 a month for me, and that's just me and the girls.

I have this heater from GE. I watched for a deal and snagged one for $1150. A decent regular electric water will cost about $400, for me a $750 difference. I've had the heat pump almost a year now. You do the math.
    Darn it I had forgotten about the new heat pump water heaters! What do you do with your "extra Cold Air" that is a by product of the unit heating the water? A.C. the man cave?
    Likes Jane Doe liked this post

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, LP instant hot water systems are more efficient and cost-effective.

Jane, since you still have time, research 'heat pump water heaters'. These are the new super efficient Energy Star rated models. They are more expensive, but the electric savings was $61 a month for me, and that's just me and the girls.

I have this heater from GE. I watched for a deal and snagged one for $1150. A decent regular electric water will cost about $400, for me a $750 difference. I've had the heat pump almost a year now. You do the math.
    I looked at them and defiantly see the benifits I mean it acts as a dehumidifier too doesnt it ? this is the same principle I was talking about that pulls heat from a house hold HVAC heat pump but new manufatures void the warrenty to use them inline with equipment and no one makes them anymore. I happen to have one and a unit that is just out of warrentty that I wanted to use. the geo thermal heat pump hybridized with a air exchange is hard to find but a sound principle .
    we are vastly more focused on what divides us than what unites us

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Here is a $1,000 solar wh rebate from FPL
    http://www.fpl.com/landing/solar_reb...tial_swh.shtml

And here is info on tax incentives for energy efficiency from the IRS
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...154657,00.html

See also eere.energy.gov for more incentives.
    thank you I needed that tidbit it is a big card in the game since we have lost most of our dependents
    Likes Jane Doe liked this post

Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Itchey View Post
    Darn it I had forgotten about the new heat pump water heaters! What do you do with your "extra Cold Air" that is a by product of the unit heating the water? A.C. the man cave?
    The shop is much cooler in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ROOT View Post
    I looked at them and defiantly see the benefits I mean it acts as a dehumidifier too doesn't it ? this is the same principle I was talking about that pulls heat from a house hold HVAC heat pump but new manufactures void the warranty to use them inline with equipment and no one makes them anymore. I happen to have one and a unit that is just out of warranty that I wanted to use. the geo thermal heat pump hybridized with a air exchange is hard to find but a sound principle .
    In short, it's an amazing system. There's a video on GE's site that shows hows the pump works.
    Likes ROOT liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shop is much cooler in the summer.

In short, it's an amazing system. There's a video on GE's site that shows hows the pump works.
    yeah I know exactly how it works and it is really quite brilliant at the heart of it all. this technology would bring about some amazing savings in energy use if we had some redundant standards in building that got past the commercial competitions propitiatory products. can you Imagine if every appliance in the house could plug into a energy transfer system .
    so the heat you pump out of your refrigerator was collected to go into your water or pool or even a hot box that could slow roast food, even better we could have walk in pantries that were chilled by a system that used off the shelf components that could be configured to create a durable product that did not have to be re manufactured in whole when one component failed. pre-emtive recycling would be in not having to through stuff away so often. pecause of built in obsolescence.

I have always tried to Imagine a system that could use a solar furnace to provide the energy to cool like the way a gas powered refrigerator does.
    we have free energy all around us the secret is collecting the minute amounts and concentrating them.

Here is concept I fully intend on implementing at least in part.
    Why don't we pull the hot air from the attic into the clothes dryer. and why are dryers not insulated to prevent that excess heat from warming the home in summer or some how removing the lint and dehumidifying the warm moist air that vents outside and bringing it back in to aid in warming the house in winter.

I think the biggest comfort issue here in Florida is not temperature but the humidity, If we could better dry the air we would not have to chill it so much.

Googlemeister Disco Bowling Champion
    PALM COAST, Florida "The Greatest Place on Earth"
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are dead on about humidity issues in Florida and that is exactloy why Foam insulated homes are partly so efficient.
    You see the foam sprayed in place if done correctly seals the home completely from exterior humid air exchange. It is hard to have 50% relative humidity in a conditioned living space that is only seperated from 99% humid attic by either fiberglass or cellulose insulation.

That magic number of 78' degrees being comfortable to most people is correct.... If the humidity is 50% or less.
    80% humidity requiers a temp of around 72' to be as comfotable as 78'. Think of the humiture scale that George Winterling of Channel 4 n Jax came up with.
    Likes ROOT liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Errrgghhh a Solar system is 4500.00 and that isn't anything special, I really think the prices of the equipment are over inflated because of the "rebates" How can a tank with 4 outlets cost 1000.00 more than one with 2 outlets . that's right 1300.00 for just the tank. and its not available in a size that will fit in a reclusive spot. or Ideally be buried outside the house.

we are talking about simple technology here GEESH all I need is an insulated stainless steel tank with 5 holes one for a pressure relief one for cold water to come in and stem to the bottom another to draw from the tank for the solar collector another as a return from the collector and the last for hot water to exit and pass into a instant heater that can bring the temp up to service use if needed .

no pretty covers that say solar no element electric hook up or any Hi tech jargon, a stainless tank with no active parts would last a 100 years and never need service. it would adapt to any collector that would pre heat the water .
    Thanks Itchey thanked for this post

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Errrgghhh a Solar system is 4500.00 and that isn't anything special, I really think the prices of the equipment are over inflated because of the "rebates" How can a tank with 4 outlets cost 1000.00 more than one with 2 outlets . that's right 1300.00 for just the tank. and its not available in a size that will fit in a reclusive spot. or Ideally be buried outside the house.

we are talking about simple technology here GEESH all I need is an insulated stainless steel tank with 5 holes one for a pressure relief one for cold water to come in and stem to the bottom another to draw from the tank for the solar collector another as a return from the collector and the last for hot water to exit and pass into a instant heater that can bring the temp up to service use if needed .

no pretty covers that say solar no element electric hook up or any Hi tech jargon, a stainless tank with no active parts would last a 100 years and never need service. it would adapt to any collector that would pre heat the water .
    Awwww ! Sorry! Things aren't falling into place for you either!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just moaning, I will come up with a solution, I just might have to do it without a government incentive to get a decent value.

If somebody rushes me he might end up with a 55 gallon drum painted black on the roof
    He is already claiming he is being punished LOL

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw something about making the solar panels online a while back. Normally I wouldn't even bring it up but you seem to be Handy building things AND have some smarts about electrical things. Just something to throw in , just in case.

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Doe View Post
    I saw something about making the solar panels online a while back. Normally I wouldn't even bring it up but you seem to be Handy building things AND have some smarts about electrical things. Just something to throw in , just in case.
    Oh, and should you figure that out I'll hire you to help us with ours!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Good things come to those smart enough to be patient

After going through the holidays without a water heater ( well we had to turn it on and off for specific uses because it ran a stream out the Garage) I was able to make a sweet deal today at Sheps Salvage a place I have trusted for many industrial and just really cool things in my shop.
    I picked up an AO smith Commercial Water heater that is just a year old has all the connections I need to impalement a solar system and is a shorty that will be out of the way, for not 1300 , not 700 no not even 200 that s right 100 bucks and they come with a ten year warranty and are energy star rated So uncle Sam keep your rebate your native son of efficiency is able to take care of himself now if I can just afford the copper we will have a solar panel or two before you know it.
    Likes TailTeaser, Itchey liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and with the savings I can buy more ammunition so I can keep stumpy out of my MRE's and pinto beans.

Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and with the savings I can buy more ammunition so I can keep stumpy out of my MRE's and pinto beans.
    I have my own MRE's, and I prefer lentils.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After going through the holidays without a water heater ( well we had to turn it on and off for specific uses because it ran a stream out the Garage) I was able to make a sweet deal today at Sheps Salvage a place I have trusted for many industrial and just really cool things in my shop.
    I picked up an AO smith Commercial Water heater that is just a year old has all the connections I need to impalement a solar system and is a shorty that will be out of the way, for not 1300 , not 700 no not even 200 that s right 100 bucks and they come with a ten year warranty and are energy star rated So uncle Sam keep your rebate your native son of efficiency is able to take care of himself now if I can just afford the copper we will have a solar panel or two before you know it.
    $100 is a good price on that water heater.

Have you bought a blanket for it yet? And insulated the hot water pipes?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I haven't I am going to get on today when I pick up the fittings I am going a step further and insulating the whole boxed in area. I am really debating what to do about my lines. they run through the slab so there is no insulating them . I am not sure how worthwhile running a new main in the attic would be but the nice thing is all of my plumbing needs are in a straight line . I might have to do some exploratory surgery on the Sheetrock to determine the central spot that the main branches for the bathrooms before I can decide what is the best route.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12