Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Water Heater Died

I knew it was going to happen soon but now it has. I really wanted to go solar for a water heater and amend it with a recovery unit on the heat pump. I have been talking about this for years but preemptive action fell on deaf ears and now the crybaby is demanding an instantaneous fix just resolving to replace the old unit without concidering the big picture . I'm typing on my phone as he drives but I need advice on what I can do and specific models and features needed to adapt to the eficiect system. How much does a solar system cost. And can I get just part of it.
    we are vastly more focused on what divides us than what unites us

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ROOT View Post
    I knew it was going to happen soon but now it has. I really wanted to go solar for a water heater and amend it with a recovery unit on the heat pump. I have been talking about this for years but preemptive action fell on deaf ears and now the crybaby is demanding an instantaneous fix just resolving to replace the old unit without concidering the big picture . I'm typing on my phone as he drives but I need advice on what I can do and specific models and features needed to adapt to the eficiect system. How much does a solar system cost. And can I get just part of it.
    That sucks! Ours is a large quick recovery kind and it fills a large tub comfortably. It's nearly impossible to run out of water taking a shower. That being said it's nothing special nor energy saving. :" Preemptive action " was the way to go. Maybe a used one to hold you over? Someone that replaced theirs before it died may have one kicking around. I can post it ( there ) and ask if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think a regular hwh is all that expensive. The solar and instants are. There are rebates and such in place for energy efficiency and solar that will offset the additional fees but not completely.

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our house is 9 years old, I wonder how much longer we have until it needs replacing. This is a good reminder to do the homework before it's urgent. Hopefully I can learn and get educated from what they find out. Name:  thinking.gif
Views: 51
Size:  12.3 KB

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience over the years at more than one home is within a year of the warranty Expiration they spring a leak. This one is like five years over due.
    It was when I replaced the elements six years ago I started preaching solar but someone preferred to buy airline tickets because they were on sale.

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience over the years at more than one home is within a year of the warranty Expiration they spring a leak. This one is like five years over due. It was when I replaced the elements six years ago I started preaching solar but someone preferred to buy airline tickets because they were on sale.
    Cute! You are married, this post is proof! I added the wrong picture and can't get rid of it. oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Hun if you were just in Lowes you would certainly be convinced . I swear to God sometimes the. Shallow ness of forethought. Pisses me off i know I overthink things as an engineer should. But geesh . Plugging. In the same thing as we have us not taking advantage of anything.
    Likes Jane Doe liked this post

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should drain those things once a year to get some of the sediment out of it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar
    You should drain those things once a year to get some of the sediment out of it.
    That brings up one of the points I was concidering. Since I know the warranty is on the tank and not the elements. And I know that the scale build up lowers eficancy. If the cost difference on a 12 vs 6 year warranty is very high could it be cheaper to buy two in twelve years time.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking a instant whole house may. Have some Merritt. A circulation pump and point of service insolated storage . Of course that means loss in the pipes. I am not sure why we keep the tank and heating togather any how. I do know I want to get that big ass tank out of my way UN the garage an out it UN some less valued nook like that stupid under countertops corner with the fold out shelf that drops stuff off to were it can't be retrieved.

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    Is that so! Do tell! I'm listening and ready to learn.

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Jane Doe;68299]Is that so! Do tell! I'm listening and ready to learn. [/QUOTE

The water is loaded with minerals that cause a scale/rust on the tank which usually falls to the bottom. I don't know all the terminology but it sort eats away the tank. Draining it moves the sediment out or at least slows the build up. ymmv
    Thanks Jane Doe thanked for this post

Googlemeister Disco Bowling Champion
    PALM COAST, Florida "The Greatest Place on Earth"
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually the heavy minerals (Lime) is what attacks the elements typically causing them to fail. What you see as heavy mineral coming out of the tank has usually flaked off of the heating elements as they contract and expand during heating and residual cooling off.

The rest of the stuff coming out of the tank is most likely sand. Yes it gets into everything.
    To Drain your hot water heater, first turn off the power to it. You definitely do not want the elements to dry out and be on heating air in the tank. Next turn off the water inlet to the house or the inlet valve to the hot water heater if it is so equipped.

At the bottom of the tank you will see what looks kind of like a garden hose spigot, and that is exactly what it is. Connect a Garden hose to the spigot and run it outside where the tank can drain. Open the valve on the bottom of the tank. Then go to the farthest sink in the house away from the hot water heater, and open the hot water, none should come out but it will allow air into the tank and will stop the likely gugling sound it is making and it will drain faster.

When the tank is empty. Turn on the water inlet, or the house water valve you shut off previously. Let the water run for a minute or 2, and then close the valve on the bottom of the water tank. Allow the tank to continue to fill, and when the air is no longer coming out of the sink valve you opened previously close that valve. Now is a good time to open the hot water on every other valve in the house, which will purge any trapped air. this is important. You want to make sure the tank filled completely and didn't have an air bubble inside. Now turn the electric breaker back on to the water heater after 25-45 minutes depending on size you should have plenty of hot water again. This should be done annually, pick a day like valentines day or your birthday and just stick to it. An electric Hot Water heater should give you 20 years or more service. Just watch for corrosion especially on the bottom of the tank or around the elements. If you are replacing the tank, do not put the metal heater on bare concrete. Get a plastic leak pan, or set the heater up on wood planks layed flat. It will stop the corrosion typically seen dead in its tracks.
    Thanks Jane Doe thanked for this post

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Itchey View Post
    Actually the heavy minerals (Lime) is what attacks the elements typically causing them to fail. What you see as heavy mineral coming out of the tank has usually flaked off of the heating elements as they contract and expand during heating and residual cooling off.

The rest of the stuff coming out of the tank is most likely sand. Yes it gets into everything.
    To Drain your hot water heater, first turn off the power to it. You definitely do not want the elements to dry out and be on heating air in the tank. Next turn off the water inlet to the house or the inlet valve to the hot water heater if it is so equipped.

At the bottom of the tank you will see what looks kind of like a garden hose spigot, and that is exactly what it is. Connect a Garden hose to the spigot and run it outside where the tank can drain. Open the valve on the bottom of the tank. Then go to the farthest sink in the house away from the hot water heater, and open the hot water, none should come out but it will allow air into the tank and will stop the likely gugling sound it is making and it will drain faster.

When the tank is empty. Turn on the water inlet, or the house water valve you shut off previously. Let the water run for a minute or 2, and then close the valve on the bottom of the water tank. Allow the tank to continue to fill, and when the air is no longer coming out of the sink valve you opened previously close that valve. Now is a good time to open the hot water on every other valve in the house, which will purge any trapped air. this is important. You want to make sure the tank filled completely and didn't have an air bubble inside. Now turn the electric breaker back on to the water heater after 25-45 minutes depending on size you should have plenty of hot water again. This should be done annually, pick a day like valentines day or your birthday and just stick to it. An electric Hot Water heater should give you 20 years or more service. Just watch for corrosion especially on the bottom of the tank or around the elements. If you are replacing the tank, do not put the metal heater on bare concrete. Get a plastic leak pan, or set the heater up on wood planks layed flat. It will stop the corrosion typically seen dead in its tracks.
    Wow ! Lot's of information! I will get hubby to read it. Hopefully he can figure it out! Thanks! I'll let you know how it went.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put a ball valve in the drain cock a few years back for just the purpose of flushing the sediment and scale. It is not just the elements that it precipitated on the side walls seem to allow cyrstal formation when the solution becomes saturated or the water chemistry changes over time. I don't know how it would "eat" away at the metal (or the glass lining) but it does in fact fill up the space and you end up keeping not just a tank of water hot you have to keep a bunch of crud warm too. so your 40 gallon tank becomes a 38 gallon eventually.

The question I have to ask is exactly how much Hot water do I need in any period of time that it takes to reheat Our washer is a front loader and only used a couple of gallons we only do a load in the dishwasher once a day and we rarely have multiple showers in a short time. If we had four kids that showered at 6 am we would need some capacity but our usage is spread out.

now if we were collecting solar I would want a really big tank that held preheated water before it went into the instant. and it would be heavily insulated perhaps even buried in the ground outside the house .

I guess that when we get our central AC system back online the collector from it could use that tank to discharge heat or even collect it in cold weather like a geothermal would. Its ashame that we cant standardise a system that would allow our biggest use of energy to be a cooperative system .

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The water heater debate is on in our house now!
    So he tells me that eventually the thing may start to leak and the way our garage is the water probably won't drain down and out. OK.
    There is no tub under the water heater and he can't add one now. OK.
    I ask when to expect something like that to break, and he tells me if it lasts 10 - 12 years we are lucky. OK.
    So I sum it up: we have a 9 year old water heater. It will likely die and or leak withing 1-3 years. If it leaks the water will go all over the place. There is no tub and we have no sensor/alarm. The tank is 55 gallons, plus of course the water will continue to go in until it's shut off.
    &$%@*& *&@ $*&^!@ *%%$@* &*#$@$#!% #@&^%$ #&%.
    We are working on a plan to prevent this from happening. We are also checking into types of water heaters and and long term cost efficiency for our situation. Most of the time it's only 2 of us but I do take long baths and may fill the tub repeatedly in one day.
    I don't think there are any tax breaks for installing certain energy efficient items at this time, I will have to find out.
    Your post may save us from a disaster in the end, but I have to agree: plane tickets are more fun!
    Likes ROOT liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well dont get to worked up over it, I didn't mean to cause alarm.
    I think there are wet alarms that might give you a warning when it first starts. getting a drain pan under it would be a pain ours is not gushing but it is enough to get stuff wet. I turned the water and electric back on for a little bit tonight in order to do the dishes a load of laundry and shower and turned it back off Thankfully there is a shut off valve I have had houses that when it went I had to shut off all the water.
    defiantly should remain aware I will keep the thread updated on what i decide on. I will call Monday to talk to a solar person about what I can do for now. the whole house instant was 469.00 at lowes the regular tank in a 30 gallon was 285.00 ish they were mostly in that 300 range.

it seems logical the whole house instant would work with a solar system.
    I hope I can find a less expensive instant but the likely hood is I will put that in were the current tank is for now and it can always be worked into a new spot. when we do the AC

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well dont get to worked up over it, I didn't mean to cause alarm.
    I think there are wet alarms that might give you a warning when it first starts. getting a drain pan under it would be a pain ours is not gushing but it is enough to get stuff wet. I turned the water and electric back on for a little bit tonight in order to do the dishes a load of laundry and shower and turned it back off Thankfully there is a shut off valve I have had houses that when it went I had to shut off all the water.
    defiantly should remain aware I will keep the thread updated on what i decide on. I will call Monday to talk to a solar person about what I can do for now. the whole house instant was 469.00 at lowes the regular tank in a 30 gallon was 285.00 ish they were mostly in that 300 range.

it seems logical the whole house instant would work with a solar system.
    I hope I can find a less expensive instant but the likely hood is I will put that in were the current tank is for now and it can always be worked into a new spot. when we do the AC
    I’m not worked up about it, just in disbelief this was never addressed.
    I bet we aren’t the only ones either, most people just don’t give a water heater much thought until AFTER it breaks.
    I am pleasantly surprised at the prices your finding. I expected it to be more, of course that doesn’t include installation for those that can’t do it themselves. I heard about additional costs due to code changes, don’t remember what that was all about though.
    Definitely keep this updated, you might really be helping people out! Name:  Flowerpink.gif
Views: 42
Size:  15.8 KB

Btw: I pasted this from word!

Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, LP instant hot water systems are more efficient and cost-effective.

Jane, since you still have time, research 'heat pump water heaters'. These are the new super efficient Energy Star rated models. They are more expensive, but the electric savings was $61 a month for me, and that's just me and the girls.

I have this heater from GE. I watched for a deal and snagged one for $1150. A decent regular electric water will cost about $400, for me a $750 difference. I've had the heat pump almost a year now. You do the math.
    Thanks Jane Doe, ROOT thanked for this post

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy McDugal View Post
    If I remember correctly, LP instant hot water systems are more efficient and cost-effective.

Jane, since you still have time, research 'heat pump water heaters'. These are the new super efficient Energy Star rated models. They are more expensive, but the electric savings was $61 a month for me, and that's just me and the girls.

I have this heater from GE. I watched for a deal and snagged one for $1150. A decent regular electric water will cost about $400, for me a $750 difference. I've had the heat pump almost a year now. You do the math.
    Cool! Thanks for the advice and link! I will check it out. Seems like that's the way to go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast