Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quality will continue to decline as long as consumers are willing to accept shoddy s

Hmmmm, must be why salt is used to kill slugs....
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quality will continue to decline as long as consumers are willing to accept shoddy s

Cruel and inefficient but Yeah I guess that's why it makes them "melt"

Speaking of willing to accept shoddy research!

Is Salt really bad for you ?
    “You can say without any shadow of a doubt,” as I was told then by Drummond Rennie, an editor for The Journal of the American Medical Association, that the authorities pushing the eat-less-salt message had “made a commitment to salt education that goes way beyond the scientific facts.”

While, back then, the evidence merely failed to demonstrate that salt was harmful, the evidence from studies published over the past two years actually suggests that restricting how much salt we eat can increase our likelihood of dying prematurely. Put simply, the possibility has been raised that if we were to eat as little salt as the U.S.D.A. and the C.D.C. recommend, we’d be harming rather than helping ourselves.

WHY have we been told that salt is so deadly? Well, the advice has always sounded reasonable. It has what nutritionists like to call “biological plausibility.” Eat more salt and your body retains water to maintain a stable concentration of sodium in your blood. This is why eating salty food tends to make us thirsty: we drink more; we retain water. The result can be a temporary increase in blood pressure, which will persist until our kidneys eliminate both salt and water.

The scientific question is whether this temporary phenomenon translates to chronic problems: if we eat too much salt for years, does it raise our blood pressure, cause hypertension, then strokes, and then kill us prematurely? It makes sense, but it’s only a hypothesis. The reason scientists do experiments is to find out if hypotheses are true.

In 1972, when the National Institutes of Health introduced the National High Blood Pressure Education Program to help prevent hypertension, no meaningful experiments had yet been done. The best evidence on the connection between salt and hypertension came from two pieces of research.
    One was the observation that populations that ate little salt had virtually no hypertension. But those populations didn’t eat a lot of things — sugar, for instance — and any one of those could have been the causal factor. The second was a strain of “salt-sensitive” rats that reliably developed hypertension on a high-salt diet. The catch was that “high salt” to these rats was 60 times more than what the average American consumes.

Still, the program was founded to help prevent hypertension, and prevention programs require preventive measures to recommend. Eating less salt seemed to be the only available option at the time, short of losing weight. Although researchers quietly acknowledged that the data were “inconclusive and contradictory” or “inconsistent and contradictory” — two quotes from the cardiologist Jeremiah Stamler, a leading proponent of the eat-less-salt campaign, in 1967 and 1981 — publicly, the link between salt and blood pressure was upgraded from hypothesis to fact.

The idea that eating less salt can worsen health outcomes may sound bizarre, but it also has biological plausibility and is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, too. A 1972 paper in The New England Journal of Medicine reported that the less salt people ate, the higher their levels of a substance secreted by the kidneys, called renin, which set off a physiological cascade of events that seemed to end with an increased risk of heart disease. In this scenario: eat less salt, secrete more renin, get heart disease, die prematurely.
    there is no proof whatsoever that the first word of it is truthful. Not one "fact" is has been corroborated

Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInAR View Post
    Are these salt licks?

These blocks are used for water softeners, although similar ones are used for salt licks.

I use them for a different purpose that cannot be mentioned.

Googlemeister Disco Bowling Champion
    PALM COAST, Florida "The Greatest Place on Earth"
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy McDugal View Post
    These blocks are used for water softeners, although similar ones are used for salt licks.

I use them for a different purpose that cannot be mentioned.
    They would also work for vegetation control on vacant unkept lots I guess?

Post amended automaticly

Quote Originally Posted by VietnamVet View Post
    I have always wondered why things like Big yellow flashlights and cordless drill batteries cost more than the tool they fit? I bought a DeWalt drill. It came with a charger and two batteries and cost me $89 two years ago. Just went to buy a single battery for it and it would cost me $75. A new drill with two batteries and a charger today costs about $90. So for $15 more I get all new. The old drill is like new so then I would have two drills and three batteries. Go figure, right?
    Lets see if I can "teach an old dog a new trick" (No disrespect intended just a saying)
    Buy the portable skill saw or Sawsall set from the same brand instead... Then instead of having 2 drills's you will have another useful tool and the new batteries.
    Also there is a place called Batteries Unlimited in Daytona...Call them about refurbing your old battery, you may well be surprised at the cost.
    "Zipity Do Da, Zipity Day, My oh My what a Wonderful Day"
    Plenty of Sunshine - Not much rain!

Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Itchey View Post
    They would also work for vegetation control on vacant unkept lots I guess?
    Ummm, no. I used the brush killer you guys suggested. About half of everything is dead or dying.
    Likes ROOT, TailTeaser liked this post

Cracker Droid Baccarat Champion
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

{QUOTE=ROOT;98694]And this is how the Art of Food Preservation becomes Lost.[/QUOTE]

Salting is the preservation of food with dry edible salt. It is related to pickling (preparing food with brine, i.e. salty water). It is one of the oldest methods of preserving food, and two historically significant salt-cured foods are dried and salted cod (usually referred to as salt fish) and salt-cured meat. Vegetables such as runner beans and cabbage are also often preserved in this manner.

Salting is used because most bacteria, fungi and other potentially pathogenic organisms cannot survive in a highly salty environment, due to the hypertonic nature of salt. Any living cell in such an environment will become dehydrated through osmosis and die or become temporarily inactivated.

It was discovered in the 19th century that salt mixed with nitrites (saltpeter) would color meats red, rather than grey, and consumers at that time then strongly preferred the red-colored meat. "curing salt" or "pink salt." Is typically a combination of salt and sodium nitrite, with the pink color added to distinguish it from ordinary salt.
    Ahha.....learn something new everyday
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How Apple Gets You To Buy New iPhones Over And Over Again

Ever wonder why your iPhone seems to slow down after a few years? Why the once-amazing device gets cranky and struggles to perform basic tasks or load apps?
    The answer lies in Apple's software, and it's a key part of the company's strategy to keep millions of people buying new iPhones.
    Apple releases a new mobile operating system every year, and that keeps a powerful cycle in motion. Each fall for the last few years, people have rushed to download the latest and greatest version of iOS, which is designed for -- and, as a result, works best on -- the newest hardware that is also released around the same time. In the months leading up to the release, many app developers furiously update their apps for the latest operating system.

Here's how that affects you: If you have an iPhone that's more than two years old, and as Apple recommends, you've upgraded the operating system a couple of times since you bought it, you may find yourself wanting to throw your phone against a wall. It's likely gotten slow and finicky.
    For many, the solution is simply to buy a new iPhone.
    It's highly unlikely Apple deliberately slows down older iPhones just to get you to upgrade. The company declined to comment for this story. Instead, Apple designs the new operating systems, which have more features, take up more space and require more computing power, for the new iPhones. And a consequence of that is they don't work as well on older iPhones.
    The system has been pretty successful for Apple. iPhone owners in the U.S. tend to shell out big bucks for a new iPhone about every two years (which, not coincidentally, is also the length of the traditional wireless contract.)
    But with its latest update to iOS 8, Apple hit a few bumps.
    Last month, the company made the rare move of pulling an update to the operating system after some people reported it left their phones unable to make calls and their fingerprint sensors useless. Although Apple said the bugs only affected a small number of people, and the company soon released a fix, the episode led to a spate of bad publicity. That, along with the whopping five gigabytes of precious storage space needed to download the update wirelessly, seems to have made people shy away from downloading the new OS en masse. Apple fans are adopting the new operating system much more slowly than they adopted iOS 7, the previous version.
    Still, a huge number of people rushed to download iOS 8 in the first few days it was available.
    Justen Meyer, a 33 year-old who works in the pro sports industry in St. Louis, was one of those people. He regrets updating his iPhone 4S, which he says is now "slow."
    "It's horrible. My apps don't work. Twitter won't open," he said in an interview recently.
    Before the update, his phone was "perfect," he said. "I was completely happy. Now it's making me wonder if I'm going to go through this the next time I get a new phone."
    Meyer isn't alone. People complaining about their iPhones feeling slow after new iPhones and operating systems come out is nothing new. Catherine Rampell wrote in The New York Times last year that her iPhone 4 felt "a lot more sluggish" after the 5S and 5C were released. Sendhil Mullainathan, a professor of economics at Harvard, noted in another Times story this summer that Google searches in the U.S. for "iPhone Slow" spike when each new iPhone is released.
    Part of that could be because so many people download the new operating system at the same time, iMore Editor-in-Chief Rene Ritchie pointed out earlier this year. Apple releases its new OS to everyone at the same time, while Android updates hit different phones at different times. (This is one of the reasons why Android's operating system is so fragmented -- only a quarter of Android owners are on the latest version of the operating system.)
    iPhone models that are a year old -- the next-to-latest generation -- tend to do fine when they're upgraded to the latest operating system, said Mike Gikas, who as the senior electronics editor at Consumer Reports has reported on the testing of every iPhone that has come out.
    It's the older ones that begin to lag, Gikas said.
    "We do know as the phone becomes older, the apps seem to become sluggish and some of the capabilities diminish," he said.
    Indeed, Twitter is full of people complaining about their phones slowing down after downloading iOS 8.
    finally got the iOS 8 update & I'm pretty sure it was more of a downgrade. phone has never been so slow or unresponsive. #rant 📱🔫
    ó travis (@originaliowaguy) October 6, 2014
    Ios 8 was specially made to make my iphone5 super slow. 😪
    ó shayiful. (@ShayifulEusoff) October 6, 2014
    New software has been slowing down older hardware since before we were jamming CD-Roms into our Gateway 2000s. What's different with iPhones is the sheer breadth of third-party software that runs on the phones. Apple has 1.3 million apps in its App Store. And in order for those apps to remain relevant and keep working, developers have to update them to work with Apple's latest software and hardware.
    Apple aggressively pushes developers to design apps that work on the latest operating system, said John Poole, the founder of Primate Labs, a Toronto-based company that makes apps to measure the speed of smartphones.
    "Apple encourages developers to target the latest version of iOS by providing tools and APIs that only support the latest version of iOS," Poole wrote in an email to The Huffington Post. "For example, itís difficult to write an app that supports both iOS 7 and the new iPhones' screen sizes."
    Poole added that Apple's huge publicity machine that is the App Store currently promotes apps and games for iOS 8, which provides a further incentive for developers to design for the latest and greatest.
    Of course, Apple wants to develop its software, too, and it isn't looking backward to make sure older versions of the iPhone work perfectly with newer versions of iOS. In order for Apple to remain a leader in the highly competitive smartphone game, it needs to innovate and focus on optimizing people's experience with the newest products.
    "Apple faces that choice: Do they create an operating system that works well on older devices, or do they create an operating system that takes advantage of the latest hardware?" Poole said. "Apple's focus has been to make a compelling operating system that takes advantage of the latest phones rather than an operating system that will work well on older phones."
    And therein lies the conundrum -- or, if you're Apple, the genius: You want to download Apple's latest software since that's what developers are developing apps for, and it comes with new features and important security fixes. But if your phone's more than a year old, it may slow it down.
    Christopher Mims, a former technology and science editor for Quartz who's now a technology columnist at The Wall Street Journal, has been using Apple products for more than 20 years. In a story for Quartz last year, Mims explained how he's found a way to get more time out of an older iPhone: He simply chooses not to download the latest operating system.
    "Except for small, incremental updates, do not upgrade the operating system of the hardware you are using," he wrote. "Especially if itís currently getting the job done."
    Mims now has an iPhone 5S, last year's flagship phone. And he has no plans to download iOS 8.
    "The only time you should [update your OS] is when critical apps stop working and demand you upgrade to the new OS," Mims told HuffPost via Twitter. "Apple has always been like this. It was true with Macs, now it's true with iPhones. Incremental upgrades are fine. But whole number upgrades? Just don't. You get them when you get a new phone."
    there is no proof whatsoever that the first word of it is truthful. Not one "fact" is has been corroborated

Chum Churner Jason's Pong Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Apprentice - Dairy Queen Champion, Bogan Surf Champion, Cooking Cookies Champion, Save the Goldfish Champion, Cube Tema Strategy Champion, Pancake Tosser Champion, Tomato Bounce Champion, Turtle Shot Champion, Osmose Mah Jong Champion, Urban Mahjongg Chase Champion, Mahjong Pinguy Champion, Zodiac Leo Mahjong Champion, Sparky Mahjong Champion, Shopping City Champion, Kick Up Champion, Bra Drop Champion, Laser Jumper Champion, Hamster Flight Champion, HeliStrike v32 Champion, Street Race in LA Champion, FUTS90 - First Ultimate Table Soccer Champion, Typotron Champion, Zombie Toss Champion, Discover Paris Champion, Bush Wars Last Episode:Attack of The Shoes Champion, Please Save Me! Champion, Target Finder Champion, Das Boom Champion, Scout Games Champion, Where Is My Left Sock? Champion, Papa's Taco Mia! Champion, Dingo Pingo 3 Champion, Fried Chicken Restaurant Champion, Burning Balls Champion, Instruments Trivia by FlashGamesFan.com Champion, The Apothecary's cellar Champion, Zoo Mahjongg Champion, Hidden Beers Champion, MasterGeometry Champion, Rejected Summer Games Champion, Snot Eater Champion, Snowboarding Santa Champion, Algar Champion, Ba Ba Lian Lian Kan Mahjong Champion, Rows N Dots Easy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Planned obsolescence the real green crime

I hate apple.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
    ~Don't even think about it! ~
    Likes ROOT, WizardMaster liked this post

Cracker Droid Baccarat Champion
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TailTeaser View Post
    I hate apple.

So do I....never owned one and never will
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I despise all proprietary products. It's more like a lease than a purchase.
    Likes KathyInAR liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to suspect that the problem with the Samsung note 7 catching fire is a deliberate code that was intended to negate performance after a specific time in order to encourage buying a new device. Yet it has malfunctioned and is having unintended consequences, rather than purposely shortening battery life it has caused catastrophic failure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12