Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Veterans, did you know?

Hard to believe but about 60% of Vets have virtually no knowledge of what they are entitled to due to their military service to the USA. The list is long and it takes professionals to guide Veterans to places to get the answers. I am not a professional, not even close. But I do know where to go, how to get started. I know the sooner the better. If you are a Vet from Iraq and or Afghanistan at this point in time you need to apply for every Veterans entitlement you can. These entitlements are not handouts, far from it. You gave your body to the Government to use and the Government cannot by Law take anything from its citizens without just compensation. Please, if you know a Vet or are a Vet get this started now. Sometimes Vets wait because they are okay now and can work and provide for their families. There will come a point in time as you age that the VA will be of great assistance to you, The answers are not always forthcoming. At times it takes forever to get an approval. At times it takes more that one application to get an approval. This is why it is so important to seek help from places that are like you, Veterans. The VFW, Foreign Legion, AMVETS, and others do a good job. Sometimes you hire an attorney to help you. There is no need to pay anyone to get the entitlements you earned in service to your country. Every State has a Veterans office almost in every County. Flagler has one. I would never recommend going there. Sal is a nice guy but I am of the personal opinion he has served his time and needs to move on. Since 1988 I have given power of attorney to the DAV. This started in Illinois. The DAV has a staff of all disabled Veterans who do the work for nothing. They really know how to make the system work for you. We all suspect the Government of "hiding" what we need to know in paragraph after paragraph of legal jargon. The DAV actually understands that Jargon. Go where you will but go. If you are the spouse of a Veteran light a fire under your Vet and take them to wherever you decide. Remember this, it is not the position of the VA to find you, it is you who must find the VA. I could give all kinds of stories about those who have been helped and I would still hear from those who had bad experiences and have given up trying. That is exactly what they would like you to do, give up. They will run you through the grinder and chew you up until you become disgusted with the whole thing you will quit trying. Do not allow them to win. Your fellow Veterans will help you get there. It is a trip well worth taking. My signature has the number for the Flagler Beach DAV. But if you are a Veteran in another just browsing the internet and you found this call your local organizations and start your application process today. Thank you ROOT for allowing an open conversation on topics such as this. This is not about me, it is about the Veteran, always.

Likes C~Scape, Fastcar, ROOT liked this post

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Veterans, did you know?

Who is considered a Veteran? Is it just someone who has served in a war? Or anyone that has served, even in peace times, who was honorably discharged?

I think that's where a lot of confusion comes from.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette
    Likes ROOT, VietnamVet liked this post

Sweet & Sassy Typing Test Champion, Flash Pegs Champion, Belize Beauty Champion, Al Capone Mahjong Full version Champion, Cowboy Gin Rummy Champion, Gardening 101 Champion, Roman Riches Champion, Wild West Slots Champion, Hit The Deck Champion, Chance Dice Champion, Flashoulette Champion, Gin Rummy Champion, High or Low by Black Ace Poker Champion, World Capitals Quiz Champion, Easy Puzzle Play Champion, Fly Eatin Champion, Winter Mahjong Champion, Pile Driver Champion, Spell it right! Champion, Merry Christmas Special Hidden Object Champion, Christmas Stall Hidden Objects Champion, La Belle Lucie Champion, Grid Games - Chain Reactor Champion, Combo Poker Champion, Rowowor Champion, Savvygram Champion, Word Burst Champion, More Crazy Animals Champion, 1 Word 10 Tries Champion, Electro Magnetic Champion, Batman vs Joker Memory Balls Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You have to serve 90 days in any one of the services and be honorably discharged. Wartime or peace time does not matter.
    Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Likes ROOT liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eligibility for VA Benefits

You may be eligible for VA benefits if you are a:

• Veteran, Veteran's dependent
    • Surviving spouse, child or parent of a deceased Veteran
    • Uniformed service member
    • Present or former reservist or National Guard member

Keep this in mind:
    Eligibility Requirements and Time Limits Each benefit has its own eligibility requirements and time limits.
    Contact the VA offices for specific information about you.

There are differences for points in time for all people who served. One size does not fit all! This is the reason I always refer folks to the DAV so they get up-to-date quality information. This is why my signature on all my posts says: "If a Veteran told you they needed help, where would you send him in Florida? Call 386-446-8696. This is the DAV at Flagler Beach, they will know what to do for the Veteran."
    I also did a little more research after answering little Dee's question and found information about people who served after 9/7/1980 (enlisted) or 10/16/1981 (officer) not always just 90 days, my bad.

If you were separated from service which began after these dates, you must have:

Completed 24 months of continuous active duty or the full period (at least 181 days) for which you were ordered or called to active duty and been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable, or

Completed at least 181 days of active duty and been discharged under the specific authority of 10 USC 1173 (Hardship), or 10 USC 1171 (Early Out), or have been determined to have a compensable service-connected disability;

Been discharged with less than 181 days of service for a service-connected disability. Individuals may also be eligible if they were released from active duty due to an involuntary reduction in force, certain medical conditions, or, in some instances for the convenience of the Government.

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the very least if one has been in combat go to the VA and open a file. Tell them you are having headaches or a ringing in the ears, nightmares, whatever. Just get the file open. If you are a CV and are having a hard time keeping it together the VA at one time had a group called "Combat Veterans Anonymous". Utilize it if you can. Personally I'm not a fan of the VA other for the aforementioned group but it is a portal to other aids.
    Likes ROOT, Little Dee liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fastcar great post. That is why I use the DAV and not the VA itself for benefits applications. I have a friend who is very impatient and has a hard time waiting for things. We placed his application through the DAV for a determination of 100% disability for being unemployable. We did this just after he was notified he was approved by Social Security for 100% disability when he was 63. He is 65 now. His application was removed from the pile and placed back at the bottom. Whenever a new application is sent to VA from a service organization it becomes the primary request and starts all over again. Many organizations in trying to help a veteran inadvertently create a much longer wait by doing this. And of course the DAV was credited for the long waiting time even though the DAV was the first to obtain a $60,000 check for back pay the VA owed him and $20,000 for his wife in back dependent pay. The organization that did this is a good place and is not the VFW. They just do not understand all the in's and out's of the system. So then that all written if you apply using an organization do not ever go to another and duplicate your efforts. You will just delay what is rightfully yours.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The VFW has started a brand new web site. Lots of great information to be had by all!

http://heroes.vfw.org/site/PageServe...erans_Day_2013
    Likes ROOT liked this post
    Thanks C~Scape thanked for this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And yet another article written by a Veteran of how he went through the process of filing his claim with VA. I copied the article from my copy of our Americal Journal and as a member have the right to pass along this information.

And remember this:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seeking help for PTSD. For you or someone else.

http://www.va.gov/directory/guide/ptsd_flsh.asp

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Veteran? Jobs? Maybe, just maybe. Take a look.

White House Announces New Employment Center: To mark the anniversary of the Administration's Joining Forces Initiative, First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden announced the launch of an integrated employment tool to connect veterans and service members with employers, and help provide a source for translating military skills into the civilian workforce. The Veterans Employment Center, which is housed on VA's eBenefits website, is the result of an interagency effort to improve, simplify and consolidate the current array of employment resources for veterans and their spouses. Agencies including VA, the Departments of Defense, Labor, Education, and the Office of Personnel Management worked with employers to design and develop the site and incorporate features of existing online employment tools within government. The new site will offer resources like public and private job opportunities, a resume-builder, military skills translator and details on career and training tools together in one place. At the rollout ceremonies this week, VA Secretary Eric Shinseki applauded the new center saying, "The online Veterans Employment Center is the single, federal source for veterans looking for new career opportunities, service members transitioning to the civilian workforce, and spouses and beneficiaries looking to connect with job opportunities."
    For a tutorial video on how to use the Veterans Employment Center:
    For more about the Veterans Employment Center, visit the VA's eBenefits site at: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/jobs

And here https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/jobs

Good luck
    Likes WizardMaster liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I get a bit irritated at times about organizations that "Help" disabled Veterans. A veteran who cannot work due to a service connected disability becomes approved at the 100% level. Mind you the Vet is not at 100%. A rating of 70% may well be the case. Due to unemployability the Vets disability compensation is figured at the 100% rate. With one spouse and the Vet that is $3,017.60. In addition the Vet should be eligible for Social Security Disability. That amount is based on the Vet's Social Security account, or the money the Vet has contributed to that account. The VA at the 100% percent level pays for eye and dental care for the vet. The spouse gets CHAMPVA, NOT TRICARE, Tricare is for the retired or medically discharged veteran. CHAMPVA has no deductibles. The Veteran when approved by Social Security is also entitled to Medicare. There are long wait times, but within three years the benefits are there.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSAT...ces_comp01.asp
    I got a request from the following organization to give money for Paralyzed Veterans. See for yourself how much goes for administrative and fundraising.

http://www.pva.org/atf/cf/%7BCA2A0FFB-6859-4BC1-BC96-6B57F57F0391%7D/Paralyzed%20Veterans%202013%20Annual%20Report.pdf

Want to donate to a great organization? Try the U.S.O. I did!

https://secure.uso.org/OM-WW/?ta=10&...FUZp7AodW3YARw

Hey don't forget to be at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Veterans Park in Palm Coast or please attend one in your Cracker area! It is surprising how many young people think it is a day off to Bar-B-Que or buy a new car!
    Likes ROOT, WizardMaster liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is a well known fact that I try to help Vets and the families of Vets when I can. What I often do is lead the Vet & their family to the D.A.V. but it is the Veteran and the family that has got to take a very active role in their paperwork and follow the directions of the D.A.V.

Often after a visit to the D.A.V. people are told, or hear, or are guided to another "Place of help" where they in all good faith fill in yet more paperwork and create applications that contains different answers to the same questions. Why? Well to be frank it is because the person "helping" trusts they have the correct method of completing the paperwork. When this happens the VA now has reason to suspect possible fraud and places a hold until the paperwork can be looked at and verified for accuracy. This takes a lot of time Vets don't have. For me personally having a person in my life, Lil Dee, who has been the driving force behind any and all approvals I or any other Veterans we have directed to the D.A.V. have been awarded/earned due to military service to this Republic.

I just received the July/August issue of D.A.V. Magazine. I copied the article that tells a real success story. The wife went many places and even an Attorney said the VA disapproved the application for Dependency Indemnification Compensation, (D.I.C.) and nothing else could be done. Pay for 100% is a tad over $3,000 per month. D.I.C. is about $1,400 per month. Five years equals $84,000 in retroactive D.I.C. payments and $1,400 per month thereafter. So go where you will, do what you wish, deal with a lot of people that are good people but not as good as the D.A.V. IMO!

Trouble reading this? Go here: https://www.dav.org/wp-content/uploa...ine_201404.pdf

Name:  DAV Help.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  454.6 KB
    Last edited by VietnamVet; July 15th, 2014 at 07:26 PM.

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It has happened. 100% true. You all remember the story about the SEAL that we helped with his claim and he was awarded 70% disability and back pay for him and his wife of over 80 grand? It does not stop at that folks. But it takes persistence and a constant battle to get the Veteran what is their due reward for their service.

Well he was just awarded 100% and another 79K in back pay. His disability is now over $3000 per month, his wife gets champ VA medical care, he can go to commissaries and PX'es now.

The D.A.V. rocks! Lil Dee rocks too! She did the paperwork that the D.A.V. used. It would have been quicker had he not listened to "A FRiend" that filed another claim after we did at the D.A.V. You see there was information on that claim that was less than truthful but the friend said it was what the VA wanted to hear to approve the claim. Lying to a Government agency is never a good idea. They put his claim on hold for possible fraud.

Alway, always be truthful and honest in your claims. Dishonesty and trust in people that mean well but can hurt you is never a good idea.

Thank you Lil Dee for your help.
    Thanks KathyInAR thanked for this post