Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default water pump problem

Thursday evening our water pump froze up. The thing was old and needed replacing. I bought a used one and it seems to work, but I still can not get water. It only runs for a short time. I do not understand this whole thing. I have tried priming it, but have gotten no where. If anyone knows about these things, I could use some help please. I have to go to work in about 5 hours , so I am having to leave Mon Cinika and her mother with only bottled water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been at this for hours, but finally surrendered. Not something I usually do. I can fix a lot of things , but this one got me!
    Life would suck, if we were all the same!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: water pump problem

I usually don't surrender, but I have to work and I am willing to pay for service if anyone has any recommendations. You can contact me @ 386-569-0783. I will be at work, but will answer the call or get back to you shortly. I really need to get this situation fixed ASAP. I have some guys here that are going to try and get it working. They do not know any more about then I do. I have installed the pumps before, but nothing with a pressure assist tank. It seems that it is not getting primed enough yet the priming pipe seems full. There is a valve stem on the top of that tank. I am not sure if I am to put air to that or drain the air out. I have even looked on the net but found nothing that really helped me. It says to find a water source from a neighbor. We live in the country, so it would take a really long hose to complete that option! Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we had a similar problem, it was the bladder tank not the pump.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette
    Likes Uncle Charlie liked this post

Banana King Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tank really don't matter for the prime. It will make the pump cycle each time a faucet is turned on if it can not maintain a reserve of water which can lead to the motor burning up.
    But what you need is the down pipe (the straw) to be full of water. pumps generally can not self prime from deeper than 30 feet. so there are two types, a shallow well pump only requires a foot valve to stop the down pipe from draining back into the well. however a deep well (were the static water pressure is more than 30 feet deep uses part of the water to send a jet back down the outer pipe that enters a venturi at the foot which assist the deep water up to the point the pump can lift it.)

If you have even a pinhole or a crack in the down pipe it will not prime. and then there is the back flow valve in the foot.

do you know how deep the well is?
    Is there a casing and a stand pipe?

if so while disconected from the pump can you move the pipe up and down? if so you should be able to jack it up and down with a 1or 2 foot stroke and get water to flow. this happens because the foot valve opens one way once you get water to come up it should not drain back down, if in it loses water within an hour you are going to have to pull the pipe and replace the foot valve.

Another posibility is the used pump needs a rebuild if the impellers are worn from pumping sand the motor turning is not the end all to whether it works.

pictures would help me give you better guidance.

The tank may have been compensating for a leaking down pipe by keeping the straw full when the 20 or 30 gallons went back down the well.

S҉m҉i҉l҉e҉ c҉a҉u҉s҉e҉ y҉o҉u҉r҉ a҉ C҉r҉a҉c҉k҉e҉r҉ n҉o҉w҉

Likes Uncle Charlie liked this post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pump is now working but will not shut off. I may let it run all night and get back at it tomorrow. It's ran all night before without issues the next day. Thank you for the advise. I am 1/2 way there and we have water, so I am content for now
    Likes ROOT liked this post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No water this morning. I went to the pump and it is running strong, but I can hear it sucking air. I may have to pull up the the pipe or add some to it and or something. Sure hope the well hasn't dry.
    I have a friend that is really good with all of this. He was here yesterday. That is why I finally got water. He told me what to do, so I will call him today and chat with him.
    I thought , I could fix a lot of things, but he is one of those guys that can really fix everything. I just think, I can fix everything, but I am finding out there are somethings I can't seem to figure out. I can fix a crane, big fork lift and many other things. Yet a lawn mower or weed eater will kick my ass. It's looking like the water may do the same.
    Likes Jeannie liked this post

Banana King Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wells are mysterious because so much is unseen and the concept of what is happening down there is misconstrued. I doubt seriously if you have went dry , more likely you have a crack in the pipe or a bad foot valve.

Letting it run dry is really bad for the impellers but sand will wear them down too and the excessive running from an air leak or cycling from a waterlogged tank is usually the culprit for a dead motor.

Did you notice any sand in the water ?

If you have a hard time pulling the pipe you might have some sand getting into a worn PVC screen you can purge and lift the sand by running an air line down the well all the way to the bottom. Even if you don't have sand that will bring a significant amount of water up in gulps, If you have the fittings to put air to the suction pipe you can diagnose a leaking foot valve by putting NO MORE THAN 35lbs of pressure to it and wait for it to push the water out the bottom and bubble up If the foot is working it will build more than 35lbs of pressure and hold it. if it is not working a big gulp of water will come out from the casing.

This is assuming you have a shallow well pump set up , a jet pump for a deep well (over 32 foot) will have a sealed casing or two pipes. A shallow will have one pipe that can be lifted off the casing.

I have freed the foot by using a copper tube down the well attached to an air hose and running it down beside the suction pipe and just lett the compressor run a while pumping water and sand up.

Be carful to not build a lot of pressure the water sand and sometimes cochina will come out with a lot of force if you restrict its egress. and I mean enough that the cochina will hit your skin like a shotgun blast and penetrate the skin.

oh and don't leave the compressor pumping sand and water overnight, that's how sink holes are created.

If you drop somthing down the well like an air hose STOP call me I have experience fishing it out LOL

Likes R2D2, Jeannie liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OH it just occurred to me, did you try to reuse the threaded part on the pump to the well?

better to buy a new male adapter and cut and glue to the old one you cut off the threads are notorious for leaking

Likes R2D2, Jeannie liked this post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sand in the water or the pump

I bought new parts and the pump wasn't running fry we still had some water. I shut the pump off and tried to prime it again, but seem to be getting a lot of air. As I investigated more, it seems the water is bubble back from the pressure assist tank. I am fixing to go and change that. I just happen to have another one in the barn. It hasn't been used in a few years. Meaning I now need to find information on installing it. Do I just hook it up or do I need to do something more. Like put air in it or anything like that?
    Last edited by Uncle Charlie; December 14th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Marshtackie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you will get better info from someone else. But I did see this info on the internet of frequent questions and answers. Maybe it will help a little. http://www.flotecpump.com/residentia...faq_tanks.aspx

You might also be able to google the installation instructions if you can find the make and model of your specific pressure tank.

Sorry I can't personally be of help. We never had to change the ones we had. The only issue we ever had was one freezing and we put a heater nearby and it started working again. Sorry, but I do so hope you get it working. Remember we all have different talents in life as we are all unique. Using and sharing them together is what helps the world be a better place. My husband is great at Honda cars and vintage Japanese motorcycles.... but give him another make of car or Harley he's lost.
    ~K9~ Make memories while you can... sometimes they don't last forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have now replaced everything from the pump to the bladder tank and have water. The problem now is the pump will never shut off. I even replaced the electric shut off control on the side of the pump. I just can't get the adjustment right for some reason. The strange part is -------I adjust them at work and it never take me more then a couple of tries!!!

Marshtackie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Charlie View Post
    I can fix a crane, big fork lift and many other things. Yet a lawn mower or weed eater will kick my ass. It's looking like the water may do the same.
    My husband said to tell you he is right there with you... and add chainsaw to the list! And he hates plumbing!

He said he wonders if the pressure switch might be stuck or bad. Not telling it to shut off. He thought you might have already checked.. but he thought to mention it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you generally never have to put any air in it. it pressurizes when the water displaces it. the pressure reading should be just under the max pressure your pump will make when its full.
    What pressure are you getting too on the water line with everything past the pump shut off?
    It sounds like the relay's cut off is above the max that the pump can create.
    do you know if it is a 20/30 or a 30/50 relay. shallow pumps just can not get to the minimum on a 30/50

Adjusting the relay is ...................... complicated and not something anyone should attempt without a full understanding I never mess with them. if it wont shut off and the pump has previously reached 40 PSI and this pump is the same It is likley a worn impeller, the kit for a gould and stayrite pump is about 100.00 you can get them in St Augustine. If its a Home depot or lows brand I don't know if you can get repair kits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right. The pump will only put out about 30 lbs of pressure. It's either get a bigger pump or get a 20/30 pressure switch. I got a bigger pump but it is old and set outside for some time. Figured I'd just change the motor, but the bolts broke as I tried to get them out . All but one anyway. The housing for the bolts is cast iron. Just as the bell housing is. The pvc also broke as I tried to remove it at the top hole. That is what made me decide to change the bell housing. The pipes coming out of it are also to big for my pump. Now sitting out side for so long, The bell housing is probably permanently Stuck to the pump, but I do not want to trust that to stay together, with only one good bolt. So I will try and find a 20/30 switch today. If that doesn't work, then I will find a way to separate the motor from the bell housing. This motor is huge so it would probably do the trick, if I can get it apart without breaking it! Another day in my water learning experience!
    Likes ROOT liked this post

Marshtackie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my what an experience. So sorry you are having to go through all this.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right.!
    never tire of hearing that.
    The pump will only put out about 30 lbs of pressure. It's either get a bigger pump or get a 20/30 pressure switch.
    If its a 3/4 horse 20/30 pressure switch is what you need

oh and a lawn sprinkler pump will not work very good on a pressure switch system at all but still produce good volume when on, Just has a hard time shutting it off.

but it all depends on what the formation that your sunk into will give up and the well-point casing size that is the limiting factor

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wondering if Uncle Charlie has gotten his pump issues resolved...I can only imagine how frustrating it must be...
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been really taking up all my time, but Sunday I am going to pull the pipe up and see what's going on under ground. The pump will only get 30 lbs of pressure. I have an experienced pump man coming. He's a friend and has offered his service. I either have to clean the end of the pipe or get it down further in the well. It's been really frustrating. That happens to me when ever I can not fix something myself. Still it has given me a new respect for water!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally we have water. I ended up having to replace the pipe starting at the one going down in the well. There was just a 2 inch steel pipe going into the well. I bought some 1 1/2 inch pvc and put it inside of the 2 inch steel pipe. Then ran it to the water pump. It all works great now and our water was not drinkable before, but it is now. Before it had an odor to it and tasted terrible. Now it smells like water, it's crystal clear and tastes like water out of a bottle. I had never seen a well with just steel pipe running down in it. It took a week and some help from a friend, but we got it done today. So grateful for my friend and to finally not only have water, but having good water!
    Last edited by Uncle Charlie; December 21st, 2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Likes slick, ROOT, KathyInAR, sundealer, K9Luvn liked this post

Piney-Woods Rooter Fishing the Sea Champion, Starcastle Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Railway Line Champion, Why did the chicken cross the road? Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, USA - Geography game Champion, Bungee Rescue Champion, YetiSports 8 - Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports Swing N Slide Champion, Yeti Sports 5 - Pro Edition Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Eggz Champion, Drachenjagd Champion, Yeti 9 - Final Spit Champion, Yeti Pentathlon Champion, Bounce Hard Champion, Harbor Fishing Champion, CiTv Alfred Alien Rush Hour Champion, Pineapple! Champion, DownHill Jumps Champion, DragonFable - FireSpawn Champion, Rat Trap Champion, Scrat Jump Champion, The Furr Twins Champion, Power Ball Challenge Champion, Rocketcat Champion, Rumble Ball: Field num.2 Champion, Time To Score 2006 Champion, Tuny In The Sky Champion, Boulanger Champion, Ambulance Rush v2 Champion, Flappy Champion, Rainman Champion, SkeeBall Champion, Watch Out Champion, EggRun 2 on grass Champion, Super Sonic Click Champion, Coal Express 3 Champion, Flying High Champion, Kitty Throw Champion, Angry Birds Champion, Magic Doors Champion, Fruit Machine Bonus Trail Champion, Zwingo Champion, Grannie Fu Champion, 9-Ball Champion, Turkey Bowling 2005 Champion, Play Ball Champion, Crazy Pool Champion, Uberpool Champion, Pinheadz Champion, Mini Pool 3 Champion, Halloween Bowling Champion, Pool MX Klassik Champion, Hairball Bowling Champion, Island Bowling Champion, Crumbs 2 Champion, Robin Hood Mission Champion, Amigo Pancho 2 Champion, Avalanche Run Champion, Mega Jump - Ice Version Champion, Xmas Boarding Champion, Snowball Of Doom Champion, Santa Strike Champion, Super Santa Champion, Rudolphs Revenge Champion, Ultimate Presents Champion, Du Wichtel Champion, Accordion Hero Champion, Don't Click Santa v2 Champion, Turkey Hunter Champion, Santa Sling Champion, Happy Christmas Champion, Snowball roll Champion, Fridge Raiders Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Banana Monkey Champion, Mosquito Mayhem Champion, Cute Rabbit Vs Monsters Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Pinboliada Champion, Pest Attack Champion, Down Hill Jumps Champion, UNO 3 Champion, Home Run Derby Points Champion, Bugs Bunnys Home Run Derby Champion, Tribal Olympics Champion, Castle Defender Champion, Daffy Jumper V32 Champion, Serfs Up! Champion, Panda Baseball Champion, Cone Crazy 2 Champion, Dangerous Voyage Champion, Tribal Olympics 2 Champion, Homerun Rally Champion, Heroine Hoops Champion, GolfJam Champion, Everyones Hero Champion, Mega Jump Champion, Kick The Ref! Champion, Maze Game - Golf Champion, Jab we throw Champion, Tribal Jump Champion, Crary Canyon Golf Champion, Brown Cow Curling Champion, Diving Champion Champion, West Gunfighter Master Champion, Golfman Xtreme - Insane Mode Champion, Table Hockey Ultra Champion, KickTheRef! Champion, Office Hoops Champion, Leaf Bording Champion, Bugs Bunny Gone Fishing Champion, Bass Fishing Pro Champion, Fish Me Champion, Power Driver Champion, Mile High Club Golf Champion, Sand Boarding Champion, Pro Zombie Golf Champion, Ill Be Lightning Champion, Journey To The Chaos Monkey King Champion, Jungle Mafia Champion, Bomby Bomy Champion, 1 of 24 Champion, CCC Pirates Champion, Fishing Tactics Champion, Master Gear Champion, Impale 2 Champion, Jump In The Dark Champion, TNT Robots Champion, Chucka Boom Champion, Ononmin 2 Min. Champion, Cheestrings Electric Dreams Champion, Electro String Champion, Word Search 39 Grow Champion, Ben10 Power Ride Champion, The Flood Inception Part One Champion, Cubium Level Pack Champion, Prism Dice Champion, Kamikaze Blocks Champion, Ice Age - Regular Show Champion, Need To Feed Champion, Super Mario Pop The Enemys Champion, OverWhelmed Hard Champion, Color Spell Game Champion, Slideon Champion, Rascal Build Skyscraper Champion, Word Builder Champion, Overprotection Champion, Yeti Long Ass Shot 2 Champion, Redneck Games - Possum Chucker Champion, Shoot the Robbers Champion, Hamstix Champion, Skate Grind Champion, Heights Champion, Destructo Shark Champion, Super Wordplay Champion, The Most Wanted Bandito Champion, Pizzaboy   Champion, The Gritch Champion, Rolling Fall 3 Champion, Pyramid Rescue Champion, Regular Show Escape From Ninja Dojo Champion, Hungry Worms 2 Champion, Navy Vs Army : Army Champion, Monster Roaster Champion, King Of Hearts Champion, Xenocrate Champion, King Of Spades Champion, Navy Vs Army : Navy Champion, Woman On Top Champion, Spank the Monkey Champion, Stone Punk Champion, BMX Backflips Champion, kugelwahn Champion, Honey Flows Champion, Food Crush Champion, Mouse Force Adventures Champion, Trivia Machine Champion, Shatter Cannon Champion, The Mote Pisa Total Buys Champion, Party Animal Champion, Throw It Champion, Natural Selection 2 Champion, GemClix Blast Champion, Artic Show Down Champion, Roberto Cook Master Champion, Rat Fishing Champion, Cracking Monkey Champion, Dude Bear 2 Level Pack Champion, Spider Web Champion, Mahjong Tai Owolove Champion, Proximity Alert Champion, Smell My Fart Champion, Goldminer 2015 Champion, Mower Move Champion, Nuclear Gun: Survival Champion, Snot Put Champion, 45 Degrees Of Madness Champion, Spades Champion, Smart Birds Champion, Pinky In Park Champion, Mango Melon Mayhem Champion, Fast Dragon Champion, Ratiminator Champion, Spark Your Neurons Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad its all resolved, and its all better than before.
    Likes KathyInAR, K9Luvn liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast