Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Getting Garden Ready

I am getting excited about this spring planting. I think I have learned one or two things from last year (I hope)

My carrots and lettuce are still growing strong this winter. Love to go in the garden and pick the veggies and than have them for my meals.

When do you start planting the seeds for the spring planting? What do I do to get my soil ready?

I would really like to take my soil somewhere to be tested - where can I get that done?

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting Garden Ready

NOW I think is a good time to start peppers and tomatoes.

I made the mistake of starting peppers from the seeds in a store bought bell pepper and unfortunately it seems they were an f1-hybrid and didn't come true while the Red yellow and orange came true the peppers were really small. so unless it is a heirloom variety buy seeds from Burpee Park seed Ferry-Morse American Seed or NK Lawn & Garden I would order them online to insure I got a fresh crop.
    The scent of fresh cut grass is plants screaming.
    Abolish Lawns and golf courses!
    Suppression of grasses is an inter-kingdom hate crime.
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH
    Likes nancyp liked this post

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries

An F1 hybridwiki (or Filial 1 hybrid) is the first filial generation of offspring of distinctly different parental types. F1 hybrids are used in genetics and selective breeding. The term is sometimes written with a subscript, as F1 hybrid. The offspring of distinctly different parental types produce a new, uniform phenotype with a combination of characteristics from the parents. In plant and animal genetics the parents usually are two inbred lines.
    Crossing two genetically different plants produces a hybrid seed. This can happen naturally, and includes hybrids between species (for example, peppermint is a sterile F1 hybrid of watermint and spearmint). In agronomy, the term “F1 hybrid” is usually reserved for agricultural cultivars derived from two parent cultivars. These F1 hybrids are usually created by means of controlled pollination, sometimes by hand-pollination. For annual plants such as tomato and maize, F1 hybrids must be produced each season.

For mass-production of F1 hybrids with uniform phenotype, the parent plants must have predictable genetic effects on the offspring. Inbreeding and selection for uniformity for multiple generations ensures that the parent lines are almost homozygous. The divergence between the (two) parent lines promotes improved growth and yield characteristics in offspring through the phenomenon of heterosis ("hybrid vigour" or "combining ability").

Two populations of breeding stock with desired characteristics are subjected to inbreeding until the homozygosity of the population exceeds a certain level, usually 90% or more. Typically this requires more than ten generations. Thereafter the two strains must be crossed, while avoiding self-fertilization. Normally this happens in plants by deactivating or removing male flowers from one population, taking advantage of time differences between male and female flowering or hand-pollinating.[4]
    In 1960, 99 percent of all corn planted in the United States, 95 percent of sugar beet, 80 percent of spinach, 80 percent of sunflower, 62 percent of broccoli and 60 percent of onions were F1 hybrids. Beans and peas are not commercially hybridized because they are automatic pollinators, and hand-pollination is prohibitively expensive.
    F2 hybrid

F2 hybrids, the result of self or cross pollination of F1s, lack the consistency of F1s, though they may retain some desirable traits and can be produced more cheaply, because hand pollination or other interventions are not required. Some seed companies offer F2 seed at less cost, particularly in bedding plants where consistency is less critical.
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH

Chum Churner Jason's Pong Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Apprentice - Dairy Queen Champion, Bogan Surf Champion, Cooking Cookies Champion, Save the Goldfish Champion, Cube Tema Strategy Champion, Pancake Tosser Champion, Tomato Bounce Champion, Turtle Shot Champion, Osmose Mah Jong Champion, Urban Mahjongg Chase Champion, Mahjong Pinguy Champion, Zodiac Leo Mahjong Champion, Sparky Mahjong Champion, Shopping City Champion, Kick Up Champion, Bra Drop Champion, Laser Jumper Champion, Hamster Flight Champion, HeliStrike v32 Champion, Street Race in LA Champion, FUTS90 - First Ultimate Table Soccer Champion, Typotron Champion, Zombie Toss Champion, Discover Paris Champion, Bush Wars Last Episode:Attack of The Shoes Champion, Please Save Me! Champion, Target Finder Champion, Das Boom Champion, Scout Games Champion, Where Is My Left Sock? Champion, Papa's Taco Mia! Champion, Dingo Pingo 3 Champion, Fried Chicken Restaurant Champion, Burning Balls Champion, Instruments Trivia by FlashGamesFan.com Champion, The Apothecary's cellar Champion, Zoo Mahjongg Champion, Hidden Beers Champion, MasterGeometry Champion, Rejected Summer Games Champion, Snot Eater Champion, Snowboarding Santa Champion, Algar Champion, Ba Ba Lian Lian Kan Mahjong Champion, Rows N Dots Easy Champion
    Blog Entries

I still have blooms set on my ones from last year!
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
    ~Don't even think about it! ~

Now that the computer issue is over I am moving on to the garden. I have BUSH BEANS I started from seeds they need to be planted. Just get a little nervous since the weather has been terrible cold warm cold cold cold warm.
    Maybe this coming weekend they will go into the garden
    Likes TailTeaser liked this post

Blog Entries

I had hoped to put mine directly in the ground this past week but haven't yet Should get them in tomorrow
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH
    Likes nancyp, TailTeaser liked this post

I just may do mine tomorrow too - I have to get more lettuce seeds. I used the last of lettuce today. Gosh I am going to miss fresh lettuce. I picked it about 3 weeks ago and it this how it looked today!Name:  lettuce.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  99.0 KB
    Likes slick, ROOT, TailTeaser, K9Luvn liked this post

Blog Entries

That is fantastic
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion

Quote Originally Posted by nancyp View Post
    Now that the computer issue is over I am moving on to the garden. I have BUSH BEANS I started from seeds they need to be planted. Just get a little nervous since the weather has been terrible cold warm cold cold cold warm.
    Maybe this coming weekend they will go into the garden
    I never knew that bush beans was a kind of bean as well as a brand of beans. Even an old woman can learn something new.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Likes nancyp liked this post

Blog Entries

Well Yes you have pole beans and bush beans The main difference is Pole Beans grow up tall and need a pole for support. While Bush beans usually grow only about 2-3 feet tall in a bush and don’t require support. Pole beans have a more distinct and nuttier taste than bush types, and 'Kentucky Wonder' and 'Romano Italian' are probably the two most popular pole bean varieties. Most hybrids now are stringiness at the sacrifice of some flavor. Bush beans tend to mature a little more quickly (50 – 60 days) than pole beans (65 – 75 days). However pole beans keep producing as you pick them, whereas bush beans produce most of their fruit at the same time and then they are done for the season. This is better for freezing and canning . My grandma used to just plant pinto beans like you buy dried to cook they are a bush varity and all come ing at once they also have that great taste with only one flaw they have a purse string that must be removed before cooking which means a family afternoon wit a tub or two de stringing and snapping. before putting them all up in mason jars in the root cellar.
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH

Chum Churner Jason's Pong Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Apprentice - Dairy Queen Champion, Bogan Surf Champion, Cooking Cookies Champion, Save the Goldfish Champion, Cube Tema Strategy Champion, Pancake Tosser Champion, Tomato Bounce Champion, Turtle Shot Champion, Osmose Mah Jong Champion, Urban Mahjongg Chase Champion, Mahjong Pinguy Champion, Zodiac Leo Mahjong Champion, Sparky Mahjong Champion, Shopping City Champion, Kick Up Champion, Bra Drop Champion, Laser Jumper Champion, Hamster Flight Champion, HeliStrike v32 Champion, Street Race in LA Champion, FUTS90 - First Ultimate Table Soccer Champion, Typotron Champion, Zombie Toss Champion, Discover Paris Champion, Bush Wars Last Episode:Attack of The Shoes Champion, Please Save Me! Champion, Target Finder Champion, Das Boom Champion, Scout Games Champion, Where Is My Left Sock? Champion, Papa's Taco Mia! Champion, Dingo Pingo 3 Champion, Fried Chicken Restaurant Champion, Burning Balls Champion, Instruments Trivia by FlashGamesFan.com Champion, The Apothecary's cellar Champion, Zoo Mahjongg Champion, Hidden Beers Champion, MasterGeometry Champion, Rejected Summer Games Champion, Snot Eater Champion, Snowboarding Santa Champion, Algar Champion, Ba Ba Lian Lian Kan Mahjong Champion, Rows N Dots Easy Champion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ROOT View Post
    Well Yes you have pole beans and bush beans The main difference is Pole Beans grow up tall and need a pole for support. While Bush beans usually grow only about 2-3 feet tall in a bush and don’t require support. Pole beans have a more distinct and nuttier taste than bush types, and 'Kentucky Wonder' and 'Romano Italian' are probably the two most popular pole bean varieties. Most hybrids now are stringiness at the sacrifice of some flavor. Bush beans tend to mature a little more quickly (50 – 60 days) than pole beans (65 – 75 days). However pole beans keep producing as you pick them, whereas bush beans produce most of their fruit at the same time and then they are done for the season. This is better for freezing and canning . My grandma used to just plant pinto beans like you buy dried to cook they are a bush varity and all come ing at once they also have that great taste with only one flaw they have a purse string that must be removed before cooking which means a family afternoon wit a tub or two de stringing and snapping. before putting them all up in mason jars in the root cellar.
    Cant tell you how many hrs. I have spent with my Grandma and Grandpa sittin under a tree stringing beans.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Blog Entries

BTW I was out at the ACE hardware in Bunnell the other day and they had some Celebrity tomatoes and some other type of tomato and they had a couple of other plants for about half of what they cost at home depot.
    Likes ROOT, nancyp liked this post

Hows everyones garden growing so far this year? I have a tiny tomotoe, tiny green beans. I am so hoping this is my year of a good crop of veggies!!

Marshtackie

I don't have any veggies... However I am learning about flowers and such for this area. Some day maybe I will get brave enough to attempt veggies like you.
    ~K9~ Make memories while you can... sometimes they don't last forever.

Likes TailTeaser liked this post

Blog Entries

Im sooooooooooooooooo late.................I am just getting mine in the ground!

Blog Entries

this is 10 days ago I have some baby tomatoes on, mustard greens are ready and squash an cucumbers are just starting to take off with there second set of true leaves
    Name:  20150321.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  855.7 KB
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH
    Likes K9Luvn, KathyInAR, TailTeaser liked this post

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion

ROOT, you and yours are going to be enjoying some great tomato sandwiches...I am so jealous. I'm green with jealousy!
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Marshtackie

Wow Root!! Now I see why your nickname is Root!!
    ~K9~ Make memories while you can... sometimes they don't last forever.

Likes KathyInAR liked this post

Root does not count in this getting our garden ready or how are gardens are doing! He cheats I think. Just kidding darn you are good. I was proud of my veggies but now I will have to double fertilize them.

Blog Entries

They have actually been suffering a magnesium deficiency the last two weeks as I try to get the Ph right with this new formula.
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH
    Likes nancyp, K9Luvn liked this post

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast