PALM COAST, Florida "The Greatest Place on Earth"
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Afgan Immigrant Labeled Bomb Maker In New York

Feds: Beauty stores hit for bomb supplies
    By DEVLIN BARRETT and TOM HAYS | More by this reporter | Associated Press Writers | Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 ; Updated: 9:39 PM on Friday, September 25, 2009

NEW YORK -- An Afghan immigrant who received explosives training from al-Qaida went from one beauty supply store to another, buying up large quantities of hydrogen peroxide and nail-polish remover, in a chilling plot to build bombs for attacks on U.S. soil, authorities charged Thursday.
    Najibullah Zazi, a 24-year-old shuttle driver at the Denver airport, was indicted in New York on charges of conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction. Investigators found bomb-making instructions on his computer's hard drive and said Zazi used a hotel room in Colorado to try to cook up explosives a few weeks ago before a trip to New York.
    The extent of Zazi's ties to al-Qaida was unclear, but if the allegations prove true, this could be the first operating al-Qaida cell to be uncovered inside the U.S. since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Over the past few days, talk of the possible plot set off the most intense flurry of national terrorism warnings since the aftermath of 9/11.

Prosecutors said they have yet to establish exactly when and where the Zazi attacks were supposed to take place. But Attorney General Eric Holder said in Washington, "We believe any imminent threat arising from this case has been disrupted."
    A law enforcement official told The Associated Press on Thursday that Zazi had associates in New York who were in on the plot.
    Zazi was arrested in Denver last weekend and was charged along with his father and a New York City imam with lying to investigators.
    Authorities said in the past few days that they feared Zazi and others might have been planning to detonate homemade bombs on New York trains, and warnings went out to transit systems, stadiums and hotels nationwide.
    Explosives built with hydrogen peroxide killed 52 people four years ago in the London transit system. They are easy to conceal and detonate, and last week's warnings asked authorities to be on the lookout for them.
    A law enforcement official said Thursday that authorities had been so worried about Zazi -- and that his Sept. 10 trip to New York City coincided with a visit by President Barack Obama -- that they considered arresting him as soon as he reached the city. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation continues.
    Zazi left a Denver court Thursday without commenting and will be transferred soon to New York. He and his lawyer have denied he is a terrorist.
    In unrelated terrorism cases elsewhere around the country Thursday:
    -- Michael C. Finton, a 29-year-old man who idolized American-born Taliban soldier John Walker Lindh, was arrested after attempting to detonate what he thought was a bomb inside a van outside a federal courthouse in Springfield, Ill., officials said. FBI agents had infiltrated the alleged plot months ago.
    -- A 19-year-old Jordanian was arrested after placing what he thought was a bomb at a downtown Dallas skyscraper, federal prosecutors said. The decoy device was provided by an undercover FBI agent. Federal officials said the case against Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, who is charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, is unrelated to the Illinois case.
    -- Two North Carolina men under arrest since July on international terrorism charges were also accused by prosecutors of plotting to kill U.S. military personnel.
    In the Zazi case, a government motion seeking to deny bail laid out a chronology of the alleged scheme, which prosecutors said had been in the works for as much as a year. The court papers filed in Brooklyn federal court also refer to "others" who bought bomb materials with Zazi.
    According to prosecutors' account, Zazi -- a legal U.S. resident who immigrated in 1999 -- began plotting as early as August 2008 to "use one or more weapons of mass destruction." That was when he and others traveled from Newark, N.J., to Pakistan, where he received the explosives training, prosecutors said.
    Within days of returning from Pakistan in early 2009, he moved to the Denver suburb of Aurora, where he used a computer to research homemade bomb ingredients and to look up beauty supply stores where he could buy them, according to prosecutors.
    During the summer, Zazi and three unidentified associates bought "unusually large quantities" of hydrogen peroxide and acetone -- a flammable solvent found in nail-polish remover -- from beauty supply stores in the Denver area, prosecutors said.
    A second law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation said associates of Zazi visited Colorado from New York to help him buy the chemicals. The official said they used stolen credit cards to make the purchases and then returned to New York.
    Security video and receipts show that some of the purchases were made near a Colorado hotel, according to court papers. On Sept. 6 and 7, Zazi checked into a suite at the hotel with a kitchen and a stove, the papers say. He tried to contact an unidentified associate "seeking to correct mixtures of ingredients to make explosives."
    "Each communication," the papers say, was "more urgent than the last. ... Zazi reportedly emphasized in the communication that he needed the answers right away."
    FBI explosives testing later found residue in the vent above the stove, authorities said.
    On Sept. 8, court papers say, Zazi searched the Internet for home improvement stores in Queens before driving a rental car for a two-day trip to the city. The visit triggered a series of searches in Denver and New York City over the past two weeks.
    Authorities seized backpacks, cell phones and a scale in recent raids on a Queens neighborhood that Zazi visited. And beauty supply store employees in New York and the Denver suburbs said authorities had been there recently asking whether anyone had come in buying a lot of hydrogen peroxide or acetone.
    Zazi's father, Mohammed Wali Zazi, and the imam, Ahmad Wais Afzali, also appeared in court Thursday. Mohammed Zazi, 53, was ordered freed under court supervision in Denver until an Oct. 9 hearing. Afzali, who was accused of tipping off the Zazis to the federal probe against them in a tapped telephone call, was released in New York on $1.5 million bail.
    Afzali's attorney, Ron Kuby, denied his client knew anything about a plot.
    "Obviously, the government would not be consenting to bail if it thought he was involved in a terrorism conspiracy," he said.
    ___
    "Zipity Do Da, Zipity Day, My oh My what a Wonderful Day"
    Plenty of Sunshine - Not much rain!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My question, How Long ....

Before we are in Pakistan?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My question, How Long ....

What...Are we projected to end up there at some point? This is news to me..LOL.
    I'm not a lurker , I'm just listening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must confess, I didn't know we had an interest in Pakistan. Can you elaborate?

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really have to "be In". We have medium and long range missiles for that sort of thing.
    there is no proof whatsoever that the first word of it is truthful. Not one "fact" is has been corroborated

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyk View Post
    Before we are in Pakistan?
    I bet we already are...
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I need to elaborate a bit here. With the recent activity in South Waziristan between the Taliban and the Pakistan Army, I wonder how long before the Coalition Forces (comprised mostly of American Troops) are asked to assist the Pakistan Army in their endeavour? It seems that recently the war in Afghanistan and the on-going issues in Pakistan are being mentioned in the same breath

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I see. I would assume not too long then.

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I need to elaborate a bit here. With the recent activity in South Waziristan between the Taliban and the Pakistan Army, I wonder how long before the Coalition Forces (comprised mostly of American Troops) are asked to assist the Pakistan Army in their endeavour? It seems that recently the war in Afghanistan and the on-going issues in Pakistan are being mentioned in the same breath
    I think you know the answer, don'tcha

I know people, who know people...

You do too, don'tcha
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kathyinla View Post
    I bet we already are...
    Oh I am sure we are so "Cambodia" there. If not on the ground, then surely in the air.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I am sure we are so "Cambodia" there. If not on the ground, then surely in the air.
    And and and

Did'ya see the movie, Blackhawk Down? If so, remember the beginning of the movie, and the scene at the marketplace?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kathyinla View Post
    And and and

Did'ya see the movie, Blackhawk Down? If so, remember the beginning of the movie, and the scene at the marketplace?
    Its gonna go down like the new Rambo movie

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RENSHI KOTONA View Post
    Its gonna go down like the new Rambo movie
    I was referring to the Delta guys (you know, those guys who don't really exist) infiltrating the local populace in and around the marketplace...

Googlemeister Disco Bowling Champion
    PALM COAST, Florida "The Greatest Place on Earth"
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A perspective of a marine in Afgahnastan?

This was sent to me via an email from a friend.....
    I have no idea if it's true but in reading it I can see where it could be true.
    I'll paste it here for your opinions......

Jim

> Read and enjoy...an Interesting
    > read from the front...
    >
    >
    >
    > Hey Folks, it's 10 Nov (the
    > 234th birthday of the Corps) and I'm under the influence of some drugs
    > to help me get rid of this flu-crap I've had for about a week. Now
    > this comes across my desk, and it's high time some of us read it...and
    > believed it. Be an adult.
    >
    > Tbone sends:
    >
    >
    >
    > From the Sand Pit It's freezing
    > here. I'm sitting on hard, cold dirt between rocks and shrubs at the
    > base of the Hindu Kush Mountains , along the Dar 'yoi Pomir River ,
    > watching a hole that leads to a tunnel that leads to a cave. Stake
    > out, my friend, and no pizza delivery for thousands of miles.
    >
    >
    >
    > I also glance at the area around my
    > ass every ten to fifteen seconds to avoid another scorpion sting. I've
    > actually given up battling the chiggers and sand fleas, but them
    > scorpions give a jolt like a cattle prod. Hurts like a bastard. The
    > antidote tastes like transmission fluid, but God bless the Marine
    > Corps for the five vials of it in my pack.
    >
    >
    >
    > The one truth the Taliban cannot
    > escape is that, believe it or not, they are human beings, which means
    > they have to eat food and drink water.. That requires couriers and
    > that's where an old bounty hunter like me comes in handy. I track the
    > couriers, locate the tunnel entrances and storage facilities, type the
    > info into the handheld, shoot the coordinates up to the satellite link
    > that tells the air commanders where to drop the hardware. We bash some
    > heads for a while, then I track and record the new movement..
    >
    >
    >
    > It's all about intelligence. We
    > haven't even brought in the snipers yet. These scurrying rats have no
    > idea what they're in for. We are but days away from cutting off supply
    > lines and allowing the eradication to begin.
    >
    >
    >
    > I dream of bin Laden waking up to
    > find me standing over him with m y boot on his throat as I spit into
    > his face and plunge my nickel-plated Bowie knife through his frontal
    > lobe. But you know me, I'm a romantic. I've said it before and I'll
    > say it again:
    > This country blows, man. It's not even a country. There are no roads,
    > there's no infrastructure, there's no government. This is an
    > inhospitable, rock pit shit hole ruled by eleventh century warring
    > tribes. There are no jobs here like we know jobs.
    >
    >
    >
    > Afghanistan offers two ways for a
    > man to support his family: join the opium trade or join the army.
    > That's it. Those are your options. Oh, I forgot, you can also live in
    > a refugee camp and eat plum-sweetened, crushed beetle paste and squirt
    > mud like a goose with stomach flu, if that's your idea of a party. But
    > the smell alone of those 'tent cities of the walking dead' is enough
    > to hurl you into the poppy fields to cheerfully scrape bulbs for
    > eighteen hours a day.
    >
    >
    >
    > I've been living with these
    > Tajiks and Uzbeks, and Turkmen and even a couple of Pushtuns, for over
    > a month-and-a-half now, and this much I can say for sure: These guys,
    > all of 'em, are Huns...
    > actual, living Huns.. They LIVE to fight. It's what they do. It's ALL
    > they do.. They have no respect for anything, not for their families,
    > nor for each other, nor for themselves. They claw at one another as a
    > way of life.
    > They play polo with dead calves and force their five-year-old sons
    > into human cockfights to defend the family honor. Huns, roaming packs
    > of savage, heartless beasts who feed on each other's barbarism.
    > Cavemen with AK-47's. Then again, maybe I'm just cranky.
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm freezing my ass off on this
    > stupid hill because my lap warmer is running out of juice, and I can't
    > recharge it until the sun comes up in a few hours. Oh yeah! You like
    > to write letters, right? Do me a favor, Bizarre. Write a letter to CNN
    > and tell Wolf and Anderson and that awful, sneering, pompous Aaron
    > Brown to stop calling the Taliban 'smart..' They are not smart. I
    > suggest CNN invest in a dictionary because the word they are looking
    > for is 'cunning.' The Taliban are cunning, like jackals and hyenas and
    > wolverines..They are sneaky and ruthless, and when confronted,
    > cowardly. They are hateful, malevolent parasites who create nothing
    > and destroy everything else. Smart.. Pfft. Yeah, they're real smart.
    >
    >
    >
    > They've spent their entire
    > lives reading only one book (and not a very good one, as books go) and
    > consider hygiene and indoor plumbing to be products of the devil.
    > They're still figuring out how to work a Bic lighter. Talking to a
    > Taliban warrior about improving his quality of life is like trying to
    > teach an ape how to hold a pen; eventually he just gets frustrated and
    > sticks you in the eye with it.
    >
    >
    >
    > OK, enough. Snuffle will be up
    > soon, so I have to get back to my hole. Covering my tracks in the snow
    > takes a lot of practice, but I'm good at it.
    >
    >
    >
    > Please, I tell you and my fellow
    > Americans to turn off the TV sets and move on with your lives. The
    > story line you are getting from CNN and other news agencies is utter
    > bullshit and designed not to deliver truth but rather to keep you
    > glued to the screen through the commercials. We've got this one under
    > control The worst thing you guys can do right now is sit around
    > analyzing what we're doing over here, because you have no idea what
    > we're doing, and really, you don't want to know. We are your military,
    > and we are doing what you sent us here to do.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You wanna help? Buy Bonds America
    > .
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Saucy Jack
    >
    >
    >
    > Recon Marine in Afghanistan
    >
    >
    >
    > Semper Fi
    >
    >
    >
    > "Freedom is not free...but the
    > U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    "Zipity Do Da, Zipity Day, My oh My what a Wonderful Day"
    Plenty of Sunshine - Not much rain!

Piney-Woods Rooter

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A perspective of a marine in Afgahnastan?

The content is believable, but I question that a marine sent that, via email, with his specific location. That's a good way to get booted out of the military.

Chum Churner Jason's Pong Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Apprentice - Dairy Queen Champion, Bogan Surf Champion, Cooking Cookies Champion, Save the Goldfish Champion, Cube Tema Strategy Champion, Pancake Tosser Champion, Tomato Bounce Champion, Turtle Shot Champion, Osmose Mah Jong Champion, Urban Mahjongg Chase Champion, Mahjong Pinguy Champion, Zodiac Leo Mahjong Champion, Sparky Mahjong Champion, Shopping City Champion, Kick Up Champion, Bra Drop Champion, Laser Jumper Champion, Hamster Flight Champion, HeliStrike v32 Champion, Street Race in LA Champion, FUTS90 - First Ultimate Table Soccer Champion, Typotron Champion, Zombie Toss Champion, Discover Paris Champion, Bush Wars Last Episode:Attack of The Shoes Champion, Please Save Me! Champion, Target Finder Champion, Das Boom Champion, Scout Games Champion, Where Is My Left Sock? Champion, Papa's Taco Mia! Champion, Dingo Pingo 3 Champion, Fried Chicken Restaurant Champion, Burning Balls Champion, Instruments Trivia by FlashGamesFan.com Champion, The Apothecary's cellar Champion, Zoo Mahjongg Champion, Hidden Beers Champion, MasterGeometry Champion, Rejected Summer Games Champion, Snot Eater Champion, Snowboarding Santa Champion, Algar Champion, Ba Ba Lian Lian Kan Mahjong Champion, Rows N Dots Easy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: A perspective of a marine in Afgahnastan?

I thought Marines carried Ka-Bar knives not nickel plated bowies.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
    ~Don't even think about it! ~

Chum Churner Jason's Pong Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Apprentice - Dairy Queen Champion, Bogan Surf Champion, Cooking Cookies Champion, Save the Goldfish Champion, Cube Tema Strategy Champion, Pancake Tosser Champion, Tomato Bounce Champion, Turtle Shot Champion, Osmose Mah Jong Champion, Urban Mahjongg Chase Champion, Mahjong Pinguy Champion, Zodiac Leo Mahjong Champion, Sparky Mahjong Champion, Shopping City Champion, Kick Up Champion, Bra Drop Champion, Laser Jumper Champion, Hamster Flight Champion, HeliStrike v32 Champion, Street Race in LA Champion, FUTS90 - First Ultimate Table Soccer Champion, Typotron Champion, Zombie Toss Champion, Discover Paris Champion, Bush Wars Last Episode:Attack of The Shoes Champion, Please Save Me! Champion, Target Finder Champion, Das Boom Champion, Scout Games Champion, Where Is My Left Sock? Champion, Papa's Taco Mia! Champion, Dingo Pingo 3 Champion, Fried Chicken Restaurant Champion, Burning Balls Champion, Instruments Trivia by FlashGamesFan.com Champion, The Apothecary's cellar Champion, Zoo Mahjongg Champion, Hidden Beers Champion, MasterGeometry Champion, Rejected Summer Games Champion, Snot Eater Champion, Snowboarding Santa Champion, Algar Champion, Ba Ba Lian Lian Kan Mahjong Champion, Rows N Dots Easy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Rumsfeld Cries Foul on Obama Claim Troop Requests for Afghanistan Were Denied

Updated December 02, 2009
    Rumsfeld Cries Foul on Obama Claim Troop Requests for Afghanistan Were Denied

FOXNews.com

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Wednesday lashed out at President Obama for claiming the Bush administration rebuffed commanders' repeated requests for more troops in Afghanistan.

Oct. 21, 2009: Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld speaks as former Vice President Dick Cheney listens at the Center For Security Policy dinner in Washington, D.C. (AP Photo)

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Wednesday lashed out at President Obama for claiming the Bush administration rebuffed commanders' repeated requests for more troops in Afghanistan.
    In a rare break in his public silence since leaving the Pentagon, Rumsfeld rejected the claim as a "bald misstatement" and "disservice" that cannot go unanswered.
    "Such a bald misstatement, at least as it pertains to the period I served as secretary of defense, deserves a response," Rumsfeld said in a written statement. "I am not aware of a single request of that nature between 2001 and 2006."
    The president leveled the charge in his speech Tuesday night outlining his plan to send 30,000 more U.S. troops into Afghanistan.
    In his speech, Obama gave a detailed history of the Afghanistan war starting with the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. He argued that the Iraq war drew needed resources away from Afghanistan, allowing the situation to deteriorate since 2003.
    "Throughout this period, our troop levels in Afghanistan remained a fraction of what they were in Iraq," Obama said. "Commanders in Afghanistan repeatedly asked for support to deal with the reemergence of the Taliban, but these reinforcements did not arrive."
    White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs explained Wednesday that Obama was referring to requests that came in during 2008, and suggested Rumsfeld was on thin ice with his criticism.
    "I will let Secretary Rumsfeld explain ... whether he thinks that the effort in Afghanistan was sufficiently resourced during his tenure as secretary of defense," he said.
    But if Obama were referring to the 2008 period, he would seem to have been pointing the finger at his own secretary of defense, Robert Gates, who served in the same position in the previous administration.
    Rumsfeld said in his statement the White House should make public any such requests if they exist to back up the allegation.
    "The president's assertion does a disservice to the truth and, in particular, to the thousands of men and women in uniform who have fought, served and sacrificed in Afghanistan," Rumsfeld said.
    He urged Congress to review the claim in the upcoming debate to "determine exactly what requests were made, who made them, and where and why in the chain of command they were denied."
    Unlike former Vice President Dick Cheney, Rumsfeld has kept largely out of the public eye since leaving the administration after the 2006 mid-term elections in which Republicans suffered huge losses, largely the result of setbacks in the Iraq war.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Dramatic images of World Trade Centre collapse on 9/11 released for first time

By Philip Delves Broughton
    Last updated at 8:45 AM on 11th February 2010

We have seen the Twin Towers collapse hundreds of times on TV. The steel and glass skyscrapers exploding like a bag of flour, the dust and smoke pluming out across Manhattan. But never like this, from above.
    Nine years after the defining moment of the 21st century, a stunning set of photographs taken by New York Police helicopters forces us to look afresh at a catastrophe we assumed we knew so well.
    You know but cannot see the 2,752 men, women and children who died at the World Trade Centre on September 11, 2001. None is visible here.

Terror: A tidal wave of dust and debris roars through lower Manhattan as the World Trade Centre collapses on September 11, 2001

Collapse: This image captures the sheer size of the debris cloud enveloping buildings and cars as the towers collapse

The cloud spreads out, consuming the surrounding area and moving out over the East River

SO WHY ARE WE SEEING THEM NOW?

After 9/11 the U.S.'s National Institute of Standards and Technology collected images from amateur, professional and freelance photographers as part of its investigation into the collapse of the World Trade Centre. It completed its research in 2005. In the summer of last year, ABC saw that NIST was asking the photographers' permission to release the images and filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act to get access to them. The images seen here are ones taken by NYPD helicopters and come from the 2,779 pictures supplied on nine CDs to the news organisation.

All we see is the spectacular moment of collapse, what film directors call the wide shot, showing the towers in their urban setting, before, during and after their fall.

Even for those who were there, like me, running from the cloud and choking in the dust, it is hard to believe. But what is all too evident to everyone is that this event changed the world, with consequences that will haunt us for decades.

With the Twin Towers collapsed the world we thought we knew.
    These dramatic images were taken by police photographers in helicopters and it is the first time they have been seen, having been released under a Freedom of Information request made by America's ABC News.
    Burning buildings can be seen crumpling in on themselves as plumes of smoke rise up over the New York skyline that terrible September morning.
    The images show how the police helicopter first began taking images from afar before moving in to reveal the devastation taking place underneath.
    They also reveal the horror faced by those trapped in the burning buildings and then the walls of smoke and debris that enveloped the surrounding area as the towers came crashing down.
    Released more than eight years after the deaths of 2,752 people on that day, they are powerful reminders of the attack that led to wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    The legacy of the New York attack continues today with as British forces joining with Afghan soldiers and Nato to launch the biggest attack on the Taliban - accused of harbouring Al Qaeda who organised the 9/11 attack - since the initial 2001 offensive.
    Meanwhile, in New York, work is continuing to build on the rubble of what became known as Ground Zero.
    Structural steel for the 1,776ft tower, which will be known as 1 World Trade Centre, has already reached 200ft above street level.
    Workers are now installing 16 steel nodes on the 20th-floor of the tower which will serve as joints between the steel framing for the building's podium and the steel for the rest of the tower. The 104-storey skyscraper is due to be completed in 2013 and will be one of the tallest buildings in the U.S.

The moment one of the World Trade Centre towers begins to crumble in New York

Target: Smoke fills the surrounding area as the South Tower collapses after the terrorist attack by Al Qaeda

At first the police helicopter is far away before it moves through the smoke to show the flames pouring out of the ravaged North Tower

Deadly: A total of seven World Trade Centre buildings were destroyed that day, killing 2,752 people

Left, a plume of smoke rises up from one of the towers as it collapses. Right, eight years on a new tower rises up at 'Ground Zero'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1249885/New-World-Trade-Center-9-11-aerial-images-ABC-News.html#ixzz0fEHheuE8

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exclamation Isis Kurds Iran Iraq Isreal Hamas Lybia Taliban Afghanistan al Qaeda

SISTANI, Afghanistan – In comes "The Joker."
    That's the nickname given by the crew to one of the 72-ton, 40-foot (12-meter)-long Assault Breacher Vehicles. Fitted with a plow and nearly 7,000 pounds (3,175 kilograms) of explosives, the Breachers, as they are commonly known, are the Marines Corps' answer to the deadliest threat facing NATO troops in Afghanistan: thousands of land mines and roadside bombs, or improvised explosive devices, that litter the Afghan landscape.
    The Breachers, metal monsters that look like a tank with a cannon, carry a 15-foot (4.5-meter) -wide plow supported by metallic skis that glide on the dirt, digging a safety lane through the numerous minefields laid by the Taliban.
    If there are too many mines, the Breachers can fire rockets carrying high-grade C-4 explosive up to 150 yards (meters) forward, detonating the hidden bombs at a safe distance so that troops and vehicles can pass through safely.
    The detonations — over 1,700 pounds (770 kilograms) of Mine Clearing Line Charges — send a sheet fire into the air and shock waves rippling through the desert in all directions.
    Reporters watched the "Breacher" in action Wednesday as Marines edged closer to Marjah, a southern Taliban stronghold that NATO commanders plan to attack in the coming days in the largest joint NATO-Afghan operation of the Afghan war. Troops are expected to face a massive threat from mines and roadside bombs as they push into Marjah, 380 miles (610 kilometers) southwest of Kabul.
    "This may be the largest IED threat and largest minefield that NATO has ever faced," says Brig Gen. Larry Nicholson, the commander of all Marines in southern Afghanistan.
    Several Breachers — including "The Joker" and its twin "Iceman" — will be used in the Marjah assault. Commanders hope they will make a huge difference as troops pierce through layer after layer of minefields circling the town.
    "I consider it to be a truly lifesaving weapon," said Gunnery Sgt. Steven Sanchez, 38, leader of a platoon from the 2nd Marines Combat Engineers Battalion.
    A cross between a bulldozer and Abrams tank with a 1,500-horsepower turbine engine, Breachers are so valuable that they only travel outside bases along with a tank retrieval vehicle to drag them to safety if they are damaged.
    Sanchez's platoon drove Breachers in their first combat operation in December, when Marines reclaimed a section of the heavily mined Now Zad valley farther north in Helmand province. "We made history, and the Breacher did well," says Sanchez, of Palm Desert, Calif.
    "I'm happy to see that this monster is on our side," said Rahim Ullah, a machine gunner in the Afghan army unit that will fight alongside the Marines.
    A few kinks are yet to be worked but before the Breachers are entirely up to speed. Two charges fired by "The Joker" and "Iceman" on Wednesday didn't go off automatically, forcing one of their crew to dismount and trigger the explosives themselves.
    Developed by the Marines since the 1990s and costing US$3.5 million apiece, the Breacher still has room for improvement, Sanchez admits.
    "It's not in the testing phase anymore, but it sure as hell still is in the deployment phase," he said, adding that all the Marines serving on his Breacher platoon are volunteers and intent on improving the new weapon.
    "I'm convinced it's going to prove itself in Marjah," Sanchez said.
    Many on his platoon believe the Breacher has already proven its worth. The Joker's vehicle commander, Cpl. Michael Turner, 21, of Provo, Utah, says his Breacher works even better than he'd thought during training.

"She's surprisingly easy to operate," Turner said. His vehicle can travel at 50 miles (80 kilometers) per hour. When plowing for bombs, it can still move at 5 to 8 mph (8 to 13 kph), depending on the terrain — all the while digging up the dirt 14 inches (36 centimeters) deep.
    "That's plenty enough to get the IEDs," said Turner, because any explosive buried deeper is unlikely to be triggered by a vehicle driving by.
    The Joker's driver, Sgt. Jeremy Kinsey, 23, from Sunny Side, Washington, even triggered a live IED during his Breacher's first combat outing in December. The 60-pound (27-kilogram) bomb exploded on his plow, powerful enough to rip out a tire or an axle from a normal armored vehicle. The Breacher barely registered. "It shook slightly," Kinsey said. "I laughed and I drove on."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100211/...n_the_breacher

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Taliban Rape Tapes: A ‘Muslim Abu Ghraib

I wasnt sure where to post this. Move it to World News if you want.

This is the link to the video if you want to see it.....................http://bigjournalism.com/bthor/2010/...im-abu-ghraib/

Taliban Rape Tapes: A ‘Muslim Abu Ghraib

Posted by Brad Thor Feb 12th 2010 at 11:13 am in Afghanistan, Taliban, War on Terror | Comments (73)

**Video embed updated
    **Post updated with link to downloadable video.
    With breaking news out of Palestine today that a top aide to President Mahmoud Abbas has been literally caught with his pants down, rape tapes seem to be popping up all over the pious Muslim world. And some are
    horrifically worse than others.
    Last month on the FOX Business Network, Colonel Oliver North revealed a startling piece of information. Conservative mullahs and elements within the Haqqani terror network – known as the backbone of the Taliban and Al Qaeda in the Af/Pak theater – are working to take the Haqqanis down from the inside. Their key weapon is a disturbing video that shows the serial sexual assault of several young girls.
    Colonel North explained that no one in American intelligence had yet seen this video. Here it is:
    ***STRONGEST POSSIBLE CONTENT WARNING. NOT SAFE FOR WORK***

DOWNLOAD VIDEO HERE.
    Transcript here.
    When I travelled to Afghanistan to research my novel, The Apostle, contacts of mine introduced me to a mid-level Taliban commander in the Haqqani network. Over tea and considerable time talking together, he provided me with some very good, inside-baseball information on the Haqqanis and how their network operates.
    I soon realized that he was part a burgeoning movement of disillusioned fighters, mullahs and commanders who have lost faith in both the network s founder, Jalaluddin Haqqani and its Chief Operating Officer, Siraj Haqqani, Jalaluddin s son.
    Jalaluddin Haqqani
    Recently, this mid-level Taliban commander shared a chilling story with me. He told me it was a scandal that would rock the Muslim world like nothing before and that it would “devastate” the Haqqani network. “What Abu Ghraib was for you Americans,” he said, “this will be for the Haqqanis; only worse.”
    A Muslim Abu Ghraib? Considering the horrific violence that the Haqqanis had perpetrated to date, I had trouble imagining what they could have done now that would suddenly have the power to enflame the Muslim world. After all, that kind of outrage is normally reserved for terrible insults by the West, like cartoons, operas, or free speech. Then, my contact told me his story. It made me absolutely sick to my stomach.
    As Siraj Haqqani moved from village to village, rounding up the sons of poor Muslim families to fight for the Taliban and Al Qaeda, he offered the villagers free medical care. He even sent his physician, Dr. Hassan Duraz to conduct the clinics. There was a horrific catch, though. Duraz was a monster.
    He arrived in each village with Siraj Haqqani s uncle, Ibrahim, and Siraj s cousin, Ishak, in tow. With them, the Haqqanis brought along their own very special tools of terror – a video camera and an eye for human flesh. You see, with Haqqani healthcare, you not only received a medical exam, if you were an attractive young girl, you also got a screen test. And heaven forbid you passed.
    For those women and girls unfortunate enough to catch the good doctor s fancy, it was show time. The Haqqani uncle and cousin would be brought into the exam room, they would set up their video equipment, and Duraz would drop his trousers and go to work.
    The Haqqanis and Duraz sexually assaulted poor women throughout the tribal regions and captured every moment of their degradation and humiliation on video to enjoy over and over again.
    Times were good for the Haqqani pornography ring. Their enterprise thrived until someone slipped up and word leaked out. In the blink of an eye, Siraj Haqqani was in big trouble.

And what s a good and pious Muslim warrior to do when his moral authority and the very existence of his terror network are at stake? There s only one answer of course. Kill everyone involved. (Everyone that is, except for family.) And that s exactly what Siraj Haqqani did.
    Haqqani not only killed the women in the video, but he also killed his own physician, Dr. Duraz. After all, dead men (and dead women for that matter) tell no tales, right?
    The only thing left to do was to visit the Haqqani home theater and destroy all the evidence. With that task complete, Siraj Haqqani could sit back and relax. There was just one problem. He didn t get all of the tapes. My contact managed to rescue some.
    With the help of a prominent Pakistani Mullah, he put together the video we have linked here, extolling all Muslims to condemn and abandon the Haqqanis. In Islam, there is only one thing worse than the sins the Haqqanis committed – Siraj Haqqani s sin of trying to cover it all up.
    As the video is disseminated throughout the bazaars of Pakistan and Afghanistan, I can only hope that it will result in a death sentence for the Haqqanis and their entire terror network. According to the tenets of Islam, Siraj Haqqani, his cousin, and uncle will spend an eternity roasting in hell. Anyone who supports them, now that this video has come to light, will be subject to the same fate under Islam, which will hopefully serve as a significant disincentive to join or continue working for the Haqqani network.
    Siraj Haqqani, like the uncle and cousin he protects, is a monster. I can only hope that he witnesses the collapse of his organization as his followers tear him limb from limb and that the experience will be repeated daily in the afterlife, with two matinees on Sundays.
    As you watch the video (or don t watch it), keep in mind one thing. None of this terrible evil would have been possible without Siraj Haqqani.
    For the record, through independent sources in Afghanistan and Pakistan, I have confirmed that the women who appear herein, as well as Dr. Duraz, have all indeed been murdered.

Page 1 of 73 123456789101151 ... LastLast