Cracker Droid Baccarat Champion
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Check your smoke alarms and batteries

I had posted this on another forum and one of the members there (and here) #saint160 recommended I repost the information here in an attempt to reach more folks about this.

Re: Change your smoke alarm batteries

Postby R2D2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:11 am
    If you have a smoke detector that does not function correctly after a battery change, try cleaning it first before replacement. The easiest way to do this is either to blow it out with a can of compressed air or take it down and vacuum it with the soft brush attachment. Dust and bugs could be causing a false alarm condition.

Most folks also do not know that older Smoke Alarms have to be completely change every 10 years

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health...ectors-expire/
    Smoke detectors expire. Over time they lose sensitivity. The last thing you want is a weak smoke detector in your room while sleeping soundly at night.

Here’s what you need to know…

When it comes to survival, there are many tools which assist us. Many of them are technological and many others are not. Among the electronic devices which serve to warn us of danger, the smoke detector works largely unnoticed while on the ceiling or walls while it constantly and continuously measures the air around it – just waiting to alarm.

It works hours, days, weeks, months, years – never ending.

At least until one of two things happen…

1. The batteries run dead.
    2. It’s shelf life expires.

A good habit to get into for replacing smoke detector batteries is during every New Year.
    January 1 seems like as good a day as any…

But did you know that smoke detectors lose their effectiveness over time?

The U.S. Fire Administration says most smoke detectors installed today have a life span of about 8-10 years. After this time, the entire unit should be replaced.

It is a good idea to write the date of purchase with a marker on the inside of your smoke detector’s (battery compartment) so you will know when to replace it. Some of the newer detectors already have the purchase date written inside.

R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!

More at the link - Home Depot and lowes also sell "multi-packs" of smoke detectors to help cut the costs of replacements

Also if you cannot get to your smoke detectors due to heights or whatever, call the Palm Coast Fire Dept and they will schedule a fireman to do it for you. (You supply the batteries, they supply the ladder).
    Last edited by R2D2; January 26th, 2016 at 02:26 PM. Reason: I can't spell or type it right the first time
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!
    Thanks KathyInAR, slick thanked for this post

Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Check your smoke alarms and batteries

Thanks, I will get a new one. Mine is over 20 years old.
    Likes KathyInAR liked this post

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this information apply to smoke detectors that are hard wired with battery back up?
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Likes Jeannie liked this post

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInAR View Post
    Does this information apply to smoke detectors that are hard wired with battery back up?
    Yes it does, it applies to all types. The ionization chamber or smoke detection sensor is the issue, they are basically the same across all models.... they do have a limited useable life
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    Thanks KathyInAR thanked for this post

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Thanks, I will get a new one. Mine is over 20 years old.
    You may have more than one. Depending when the home was built and the fire safety code that was in place at that time, you may have one in each bedroom and also in the hallways outside a bedrooms.

It is not a good idea to have one in a kitchen or garage.
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    Likes KathyInAR, Jeannie liked this post

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    You may have more than one. Depending when the home was built and the fire safety code that was in place at that time, you may have one in each bedroom and also in the hallways outside a bedrooms.

It is not a good idea to have one in a kitchen or garage.
    My house was built in 2011 and it has six smoke detectors--one in each bedroom and one in each hallway. I was surprised that there wasn't one in the kitchen. My grandboy suggested that was because if one was in the kitchen it would constantly be going off because they are so sensitive.
    Last edited by KathyInAR; January 27th, 2016 at 07:34 AM.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also if you use gas or heating oil, they make a combo CO2/smoke detector.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInAR View Post
    My house was built in 2011 and it has six smoke detectors--one in each bedroom and one in each hallway. I was surprised that there wasn't one in the kitchen. My grandboy suggested that was because if one was in the kitchen it would constantly be going off because they are so sensitive.

Your grandson is a very bright boy
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    Thanks KathyInAR thanked for this post

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundealer View Post
    Also if you use gas or heating oil, they make a combo CO2/smoke detector.
    Not just those fuels but any fuel that burns will create CO2.

Also CO2 is heavier than air so the best place for those would be lower to floor level rather than up at the ceiling like a smoke detector.
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee

Marshtackie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great info everyone!!
    ~K9~ Make memories while you can... sometimes they don't last forever.

In The Pokey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a smoke detector in my kitchen only because I feel like it is the most important place we must place the smoke detector. Is placing it in rooms beneficial?

Catchdog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why we need a smoke detector in most of the rooms?