Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Outback Steakhouse, Palm Coast

We hadn't been to Outback since the mid-90's. The Palm Coast location had a half-full parking lot on a Monday night so we decided to head on in and see how they progressed in 20 years.

Service and seating was quick, efficient, and personable. Drink orders were taken immediately. I asked of the night's specials and was informed of the 'secret' NASCAR promo for a free bloomin' onion. A nice score by the server.

Drinks (two middy drafts) arrived quickly along with warm brown bread and butter. The bread was warm and tasty but served with a huge steak knife that crushed the bread when sliced. The butter was ice cold and wouldn't spread.

The bloomin' onion was hot, crispy and served with their signature sauce, but there were areas of the onion that had uncooked batter. Quite a turn-off.

We ordered the Hand-Carved Roasted Sirloin and Filet Mignon (medium rare), both with loaded potatoes.

The potatoes were over-cooked and mushy, almost to the consistency of mashed potatoes. There was minimal loaded goodies on top. Normally I love cutting up the skins and slathering them in butter, but the skin was covered in salt crystals, making it inedible. At least the butter had melted by now.

The filet was unevenly cooked, one side was perfectly medium rare while the other was medium well with no pink. Seasoning was appropriate and not over done. Very tender as filet should be but still cooked unevenly.

The sirloin was small half-dollar sized medallions that were covered in a dark brown gravy. The gravy had a slight mushroom taste but I couldn't find any mushrooms. The sauce was supposed to be Dijon based. I think they forgot the mustard. It reminded me of powered brown gravy found in a warehouse club. The sirloin was roasted properly, but half of it was tough and chewy. The broccoli served with the sirloin was extremely salty and inedible.

Total, before tip, $48, including 2 draft beers.

Finishing our beers, we discussed how the meal was mediocre at best. Our friends and co-workers had always raved about Outback and we couldn't see why. Forty-eight dollars is a lot of money for 2 star food. Our server, however, was quick and friendly. We tipped him appropriately as the food is the kitchen's fault, not his.

One of their signature items, the bloomin' onion contained uncooked batter. The potatoes, another steak house staple, were over-cooked and salty. The sirloin was tough and slathered in way too much gravy, or 'creamy dijon bistro sauce' as they call it. The filet was cooked unevenly. The bread was sufficiently smashed like a junker at the demolition derby.

2/5 stars

As a steakhouse, Outback bombs on the basics. Maybe Monday's are an off night, it doesn't matter, we'll never return.
    Likes Jeannie liked this post

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Outback Steakhouse, Palm Coast

Hence, the half-filled parking lot. Sorry, it wasn't a better experience.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most chain restaurants, portions have gotten smaller, quality has gone down and over priced.
    I noticed places like Outback, Chili's and others make their money in the bar area.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ruby Tuesday has a great Ribeye! Never go to Outback. They just closed a store in NSB, lack of business, imagine that?

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundealer View Post
    Like most chain restaurants, portions have gotten smaller, quality has gone down and over priced.
    I noticed places like Outback, Chili's and others make their money in the bar area.
    I know, in the past I was usually able to get two meals and sometimes a snack out of a single meal order--not anymore!

Post amended automatically

Applebee's also has fairly good steaks here, maybe everywhere.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea

Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outback has become a hit and miss. I went with my daughter last week. We both ordered prime rib but different sizes and she had medium and I had well. She got my steak and I got hers. They screwed up the size, we laughed and ate it anyway, potato was good but service was slow and basically sucked. I felt like I was speaking a language the server was unable to understand. We tipped well anyway because I tip well for anyone that has to deal with the public. Not very happy. Going back this week with hubby to see if we get another server it might be better. Take out is usually much better than eating in.

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For steak, Texas Roadhouse. Ours will let you pick your steak from the case!

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard from different people that this place(pick the name) is fantastic. So, I like the fool I am I toddle in and have a meal. This has happened numerous times and the meal was friggin' horrible. I said I was a fool. I'm now of the belief that most do not have a clue what a well prepared meal is. The criteria is that the meal is cheap and there is a lot of it.

People go ga ga over different places beachside. They are all the same. The same stuff is unloaded every morning from the same truck that stops at all of them. It ain't that good.

For a sandwich, Beach Belly Bob's or Ocean Side or Beach Front Grille

For anything more, I know of about 6 places, no more than that.

Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted on Yelp and Trip Advisor as I do with my restaurant reviews. I received a reply from Outback, we won't be calling or returning, even though I give them credit for trying.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they offer a free dining experience?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInAR View Post
    Did they offer a free dining experience?
    I didn't call them back. Don't want to return.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking if there was a free meal in the offering that you could pass it along to a homeless person.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInAR View Post
    I was thinking if there was a free meal in the offering that you could pass it along to a homeless person.
    Good idea, but I've been one never to return after a bad experience.
    Likes Fastcar liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was never impressed by any eatery 'beachside' in Flagler.

Cracklin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not many "good" eatin experiences around here. Outback is what it is and it's not much. Now, Houligans is pretty darn good.