Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bono's Pit BBQ, St. Augustine

Bono's Pit BBQ seems like one of those "typical BBQ joints". You know what I mean...kind of like Sonny's, Woody's, Dustin's, Dickie's, and countless others. Normally it's a dried out, over smoked, over cooked, and over-sauced BBQ mess on a plate.

Little did we know Bono's has been around since 1949. Mostly scattered around NE Florida in Jacksonville, with a place in Denver, Gainesville and St. Augustine. Sixty-seven (67) years is almost unheard of in the restaurant business.

Bono's St. Augustine has never looked crowded, but the drive-thru is always hopping. We visited on a Thursday evening. The crowd was minimal, the staff was cordial and efficient. Food service was very fast, almost too-fast. You know, the kind of fast where you think the food is coming directly from the microwave to your table. Not so at Bono's. Always fresh.

We both ordered combo platters of meats, sides, and sweet tea.

SIDES:

Mac/Cheese - very, very cheesy and obviously handmade. Piping hot with just right amount of cheese to pasta. Not one to share mac/cheese, we each had our own.
    Brunswick Stew - smoked brisket, beans, veggies, and spices. A cupful of lovely homemade goodness. We could eat this by itself with some garlic toast.
    Baked Beans - somewhat typical of most BBQ joints, but with their spices and meats it's above par. Definitely not from a can.

MEATS:

First, let me say that Bono's is the FIRST BBQ joint that we enjoyed ALL of our meats without adding any sauce. Every meat was tender and juicy with an excellent bark. Their slow cooking shows through with awesome little crunchy bits from the bark. We tried the brisket, pork, ribs, turkey, and chicken.

Secondly, who offers turkey? My other half spied the turkey and added it to her combo. Man-o-man was that some juicy, tender, and flavorful bird. Major kudos on that one Bono's.
    SAUCES:

We're not fans of BBQ joint sauces. Most of them are generic and taste the same from roadside joint to roadside joint. Bono's is no different, except for the Reggie's Pit Boss Sauce. This sauce was freakin' amazing. Hot, spicy, peppery, thick, and just plain yummy. This sauce was a creation of one of their cutters in Jacksonville. He took their basic hot BBQ sauce and added some tasty bits. Reggie...you're the man. If I ever meet you I'm going to hug you and slap your butt. That's some tasty sauce.

CONCLUSION:

Being a Southerner, it takes a lot for me to get excited about BBQ. I've had bad, fair, decent, good, amazing, and great BBQ's. I would class Bono's as one of the greats. A pit master is judged by his meats, not his sides. The meats are great. Tender, juicy, and flavorful. So good you don't need sauce. In fact, if you need to sauce your meat you should be going to a different BBQ joint.

I was born and raised in NE Florida, how I've never been to Bono's before is beyond me. We have finally found some great BBQ meats, and it is Bono's. You won't be disappointed.

p.s. the extremely large wet-naps are delivered warm!Name:  IMG_20160929_184822.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  264.9 KBName:  IMG_20160929_184828.jpg
Size:  253.9 KBName:  IMG_20160929_190755.jpg
Size:  148.1 KB
    Likes R2D2 liked this post

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bono's Pit BBQ, St. Augustine

Stumpy, if these medicine or trash hauling things don't work out, you could have a career in restaurant reviewing. Your reviews always makes me almost taste the food. Happy that you found such a good place to satisfy your love of BBQ.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Cracker Droid Baccarat Champion
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great review Stumpy......we couldn't agree more
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For chain BBQ, Bono's is one of the Best!
    Just the simple fact the meats aren't drowning in sauce is a plus plus!
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette

Piney-Woods Rooter

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reggie?

I think he is on one of the local Swip Swap sites and sells his own barbeque in Bunnell as well. I heard his food is fabulous!

Piney-Woods Rooter

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this him? (not sure you will get it if you are not on FB)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...410016&fref=nf

Here is his stuff