Thread: Links?

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Links?

Just had a new hard drive installed. Along with it came Win 7 and Outlook. Everything works fine with one exception. When cutting and pasting a link to a email I would hit enter and the link would turn blue and the recipient would click on it to open it with previous systems. I am unable to accomplish this now. What I have is a black, normally typed link being sent, no click to open.

I've gone through settings a few times and no joy. What have I missed?
    Elect a Clown You Get a Circus

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Links?

I have no idea of your level of abilities...but, I can tell you that I've always felt very inadequate when it came to all things computer. However, from the very first PC that I got where I was the sole owner/operator since 1994 (as I recall there were 4 before the one that I got the first part of this year) I set up myself and transferred what I wanted, loaded software, etc. It always was by trial and error and sometimes very frustrating...with this last one, I hired a computer weenie to do it for me and it was absolutely the best $90 I have probably ever spent. I haven't had the first glitch or frustrating moment (well, except when Sweet Arabella managed to turn the image on my monitor cockeyed and I couldn't figure out how to get it back upright); I called the computer weenie and in just seconds he told me that I just had to press the "ctrl" and "alt" and "^" keys. Just the other day while Sweet Arabella and I were fighting over who was going to get to use the keyboard (me to type on or her to lay on, she managed to turn the image sideways) and after I hunted up the post where I offered the hint when it happened before, I was able to right it.

Anyway, I know I am absolutely no help except to advise you to get a professional if necessary and save the headaches...as I told them when I called them...I have little patience and fortunately while certainly not rich, I have more $$$ than patience.

Good luck...and we probably have some folks here who are as close to professional as possible...maybe even try giving Keico a call. He has a post here somewhere offering computer help to the local people when necessary and from everything I've read, he is "the man" in your area!
    Last edited by KathyInAR; December 11th, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Kathy! I'm thinking I missed something in a little box that should be clicked on or not clicked on. Was hoping somebody knew which box. Oddly if I put the link in the "subject" of the email and hit enter the link turns blue and the recipient is able to click and open. It should do this in the body of the email.

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed that when I post a link here, it is black, until I "submit" it and then it turns blue. Maybe, it is the same with the email?
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the old system I just copied the link, pasted it to the email, appeared in black type, clicked enter, the script turned blue and it was sent and opened fine on the other end.

Just found that if I copy and paste to a email I (black type) then highlight the whole thing and send it the recipient can click to open. I still want to just it enter and accomplish it. Maybe a keyboard shortcut is not on? Gotta mess around more.

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With my other 'putor it is black until I hit enter. I gotta compare setting on the laptop and this.

Cracker Droid Baccarat Champion
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Fastcar
    Did you change your default fonts in Outlook?

Type "automatic Font Color" into help on Outlook, it will point you how to change it and also to go back to "default" automatic

I also found instructions on turning off the hyperlinks in MS Office (Outlook is part of Office) , read through below and re-check the box in step 3 to turn it back on.

Turn off automatic hyperlinks

When it’s not convenient to have Office automatically create hyperlinks in your document as you type, you can turn them off.

1. In Office 2010 and later:
      Click File > Options > Proofing.
      (In Outlook, click File > Options > Mail > Editor Options > Proofing.)
      In Office 2007:
      Click the Microsoft Office button, and then click Options > Proofing.
      (In Outlook, open a new message, click the Microsoft Office button, and then click Editor Options > Proofing.)
    2. Click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
    3. Clear the Internet and network paths with hyperlinks check box.

It should also act the same if you type a space after typing/pasting in a link as well as 'Enter". Not only should it be blue but underlined as well.
    Last edited by R2D2; December 12th, 2016 at 02:01 AM.
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!
    Likes KathyInAR liked this post

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    @Fastcar
    Did you change your default fonts in Outlook?

Type "automatic Font Color" into help on Outlook, it will point you how to change it and also to go back to "default" automatic

I also found instructions on turning off the hyperlinks in MS Office (Outlook is part of Office) , read through below and re-check the box in step 3 to turn it back on.

Turn off automatic hyperlinks

When it’s not convenient to have Office automatically create hyperlinks in your document as you type, you can turn them off.

1. In Office 2010 and later:
      Click File > Options > Proofing.
      (In Outlook, click File > Options > Mail > Editor Options > Proofing.)
      In Office 2007:
      Click the Microsoft Office button, and then click Options > Proofing.
      (In Outlook, open a new message, click the Microsoft Office button, and then click Editor Options > Proofing.)
    2. Click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
    3. Clear the Internet and network paths with hyperlinks check box.

It should also act the same if you type a space after typing/pasting in a link as well as 'Enter". Not only should it be blue but underlined as well.

Thanks, if it screws up again I'll give it a shot. This hard drive sounds like a cement mixer on start up. May be going back.

I got some help from the girl next door. If I use "copy" instead of "cut" all is good.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you got it fixed!

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully fixed. lol

In The Pokey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged