Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bathtub to Walk-in Shower Conversion

When I purchased my home nearly 6 years ago, I wasn't particularly interested in a huge luxury master bath and a fireplace. I was totally not interested in a walk-in shower (that was a big mistake on my part, I already had arthritis in both knees but it didn't slow me down or keep me from doing whatever I wanted to do--I just ignored the pain and powered on) as it never occurred to me that I'd end up with the knee problems as bad as they are and I suppose I also figured I'd eventually have knee replacement surgery. I wanted new construction and when I found my house that had neither in the perfect, for me, neighborhood, I was excited! As I planned to pay off my house as soon as I sold the house I was currently living in, saving about $20K by not having the luxury bath and fireplace was great! It is extremely hard to find a new construction house without either amenity. I had narrowed my search down between this house and one that was two doors down that was about 100 sq ft smaller, had a smaller master closet (that was located with the entry from the bathroom which I don't like) and laundry room and was $20K more than mine. In my house the master bath is what I consider still a good size--the open floor space is about 8.5 feet from the edge of the sink/vanity to the bathtub that is directly across from it, the toilet sits in an alcove and the width of the outside of the alcove to the outside wall is about 6.5 feet. The tub/shower combination is a one-piece with the walls on three sides; however, I am having an increasingly more difficult time getting in and out of the tub because of the lack of range of motion in my knees and the tub is 20 inches from the floor and I was never taller than 5 ft and have probably lost an inch or almost two of that, so that is a big step for me. Also, I only take showers now as I can't sit in the tub anymore as I can't get up without excruciating pain or worse. I shower using a shower stool. I tried to have grab bars installed but because the tub is not flat against the wall (it has curved walls with built in shelving and edges and such) the plumber said he couldn't install them. So, getting in and out I have nothing to grab and can only "hold onto" the walls of the shower...so, this is what I'm going to do...

Using these folks: http://tubtoshower.com/walk-in-shower-kits.htm

I'm going to do this: (except since all the hardware and fixtures in my house are oil-rubbed bronze the framing will be oil-rubbed bronze with rain glass instead of the color in the photo; also the man said that he believes he will be able to install the grab bars that are part of the package as they have special mollies that he believes will work)

Name:  Notch Cut Upgrade Door and Panels.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  106.7 KB

Of course, I was really stupid not to consider all this when I bought my house--I should have realized that I'd eventually need a walk-in shower for safety sake.

They are coming from near Dallas and will be here on Aug 14 and they complete it in one day.

I have been thinking about this for about a year and was concerned about "resell value"; but, decided I need to do what is better for me. I even talked to a realtor friend of mine and she thinks it very well may be desired as people want "walk-in" showers...who knows whoever the next owner of my house is, might be an old lady just like me.
    Last edited by KathyInAR; August 6th, 2017 at 10:28 AM. Reason: to correct the actual measurements
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Likes R2D2, slick, sundealer, Fastcar, Jeannie liked this post

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bathtub to Walk-in Shower Conversion

Why not just put in a regular shower and eliminate the tub all together? Would probably be cheaper and less apt to leak.
    Elect a Clown You Get a Circus

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    Why not just put in a regular shower and eliminate the tub all together? Would probably be cheaper and less apt to leak.
    It would cost thousands of more dollars to do that...

What I am doing, with the upgrade to 1/4" rain glass vs 3/16" clear glass and the "through the door handles" vs the handle being part of the framing...comes in under $4K; to remove the present tub and install a shower would cost double and upwards to $10K if there are problems. There is the option of the full-cut rather than the notch-cut but those have the sliding doors which I don't like, I like the door that is on hinges. To install a new shower, it would require cutting up the tub to remove it...it is as if the 1-pc tub/shower/enclosure walls are placed and then the house is built around them. Then re-plumbing is necessary and the slab jack-hammered and the drain moved, and then the surrounding walls could need to be repaired and such. Believe me, I've done my homework.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea

Piney-Woods Rooter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInAR View Post
    It would cost thousands of more dollars to do that...

What I am doing, with the upgrade to 1/4" rain glass vs 3/16" clear glass and the "through the door handles" vs the handle being part of the framing...comes in under $4K; to remove the present tub and install a shower would cost double and upwards to $10K if there are problems. There is the option of the full-cut rather than the notch-cut but those have the sliding doors which I don't like, I like the door that is on hinges. To install a new shower, it would require cutting up the tub to remove it...it is as if the 1-pc tub/shower/enclosure walls are placed and then the house is built around them. Then re-plumbing is necessary and the slab jack-hammered and the drain moved, and then the surrounding walls could need to be repaired and such. Believe me, I've done my homework.
    Oh, your on a slab, with a built in. That changes everything.
    Elect a Clown You Get a Circus
    Likes Jeannie liked this post

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    Oh, your on a slab, with a built in. That changes everything.
    Yup!

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you having the shower head on a slide bar?

Name:  moen-3669ep-117.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  25.4 KB
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundealer View Post
    Are you having the shower head on a slide bar?

Name:  moen-3669ep-117.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  25.4 KB
    No, my tub/shower combo has shower heads very similar to this, except in oil-rubbed bronze:
    Name:  IMG_0615.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  198.5 KB
    The stationery head has a diameter of about 6-7 inches and the handheld one has about 6 different spray choices, so I am satisfied with it as is.

If I was building from the ground up, the one you posted looks very interesting.

P.S. the picture I posted is one that I saved on my iPad by holding down the on/off button and the home button at the same time...new trick I learned on how to do a screen shot on an iPad.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now have a walk-in shower...and it turned out even better than I expected! I am happy!

Name:  IMG_0788.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  516.0 KB

Likes sundealer, Jeannie, slick liked this post

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great!!
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette
    Thanks KathyInAR thanked for this post

Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turned out fantastic! I am going to send the company info to my daughter. She is having problems too and this might just be the solution for her. Thanks.
    Thanks KathyInAR thanked for this post