Disagree Disagree:  0

Thread: Least we forget

Cracker Droid Baccarat Champion
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Least we forget

With all the news about the hurricane I almost missed this anniversary of this faithful day 16 years ago

Let us never forget

Name:  cover9.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  86.7 KB
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!
    Likes Fastcar liked this post

Cracklin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Least we forget

It's etched in my mind. Was in a doctor's office when it first came on tv and saw those planes take those buildings down..

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I woke up this morning and realized today was 9/11 and all of a sudden I was mentally transported back to that dreadful moment in time when I walked into the break room to gather the attorneys for a conference call and found them watching the TV nafter the first plane had hit the building and I watched in horror as the second plane hit. I used the phone on the wall to call our boss in NOLA to tell him what was happening and he said to forget the conference call that he'd call us after he knew more about what was going on. Then later on in the day when they closed our office at around 2:00 p.m. and as my carpool buddy and I drove home in stunned disbelief, I told him that, "our country was forever changed." Remembering all those thousands of innocent people who died that horrific day as well as those first responders who are now ill or have died since as a result of their heroic efforts.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Likes Fastcar liked this post

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember that day and the days, weeks, and months afterwards (even years for many) like it was yesterday, and I know that countless others do as well. I often think of the families that were shattered and the children growing up without ever even getting to know a parent all because of hate and a warped sense of duty to something that is so heinous that it is indescribable and almost impossible to comprehend.

After getting back to my desk and tending to immediate concerns, I called my DIL at Fort Campbell (I knew my son was temporarily out of the country but didn't know where) and she was just getting out of the shower and hadn't had the TV on and didn't know about anything that was happening. I explained to her what I knew and she said she would call out "to the unit" to see what they could tell her and if he would be coming home sooner than expected. As soon as we hung up, her phone rang again and it was my son's commander telling her that "they" were bring my son back, refueling in the air, and he'd land in about 10 hours, and that she needed to pack a bag for him with enough civilian clothing, his Class A uniform and 3 BDU uniforms (he wouldn't need flight suits at this time) as well as toiletries to last him a week and bring it out to the unit at the hangar, that he would immediately be leaving and going to a "non-disclosed" (actually I know but don't feel free to say) location. That he would only have about 2 hours from the time he landed until he left again and she could come and bring the boys to see him before he left again. Just another reason why "military families" are special.

Fastcar, since you may have read the book, Relentless Strike, you would have a good idea where he was and what he was doing. He did tell me afterwards that for the time from 9/12-10/3 he had never worked so hard nor seen others work as hard as they did during that time with only a very few hours of sleep every couple of days. It was non-stop and flying back and forth between the "undisclosed location" and Wash DC constantly. I once asked him if he was ever in the same room as the President, and he said that had not; but, that he was often in the room next to the room that the President was in.

I worked for a federal agency that later was incorporated into the newly formed Department of Homeland Security after 9/11, our mission changed significantly ... adding more tasks while still keeping the old ones. It was not unusual to work 12 days straight without a day off, I even recall once working 17 days straight without a day off. I worked many weekends in the early days along with the regular work week. I ended up in the hospital for 2 & 1/2 weeks with 5 blood clots in my lungs and a string of clots in a leg all the way from the groin to the ankle. I think it was a pure miracle that I survived that! I was too busy to die!
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.