OMG OMG:  0
Gratitude Gratitude:  0
Fuzzy Hugs Fuzzy Hugs:  0
Bless Your Heart Bless Your Heart:  0
WTF WTF:  0
BS BS:  0
Gong Gong:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
    Scrub Chicken Towers of Hanoi Champion, The Shell Game Champion, 1 in 24 Survival v2 Champion, 1 in 24 Norm v2 Champion, 1 in 24 Speed v2 Champion, 1 in 24 Speed v3 Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To Take a Knee or to Not Take a Knee

I just wanted to know what the opinions are on football players taking a knee during the national anthem. It has been a recurring topic of discussion around me lately and I wanted to see how others feel about the situation.

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: To Take a Knee or to Not Take a Knee

Some of the folks have posted concerning this subject in the thread titled "Ban the NFL." Here is the link to that thread.

http://crackercoast.com/crackerchat/...625#post191625

However, this is my opinion in a nutshell: As reprehensible as I find disrespect to our National Anthem and our Flag to be; I find it even more reprehensible that the POTUS (and IMO he does not deserve that title as he dishonors it on a daily basis) would advocate that American citizens should be fired and an American industry be hurt because someone chooses to exercise their Constitutional rights under the First Amendment. If one is denied their rights then it is no longer a right! Next thing, he could suggest that certain churches or temples should be shut down because he doesn't like what is being preached or practiced therein. The POTUS is charged with protecting Americans which most assuredly involves their Constitutional rights.

What is your opinion on the subject?
    Last edited by KathyInAR; October 1st, 2017 at 07:07 AM.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Cracker Droid Baccarat Champion
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I think all professional athletes are way overpaid and have not been attending any event (read that as any sport) for many years now.

The fact that they are using the National Anthem and respect for our flag for another cause is what bothers me. If they want to protest something then fine. They are just tearing us apart by using this venue, it is almost like they are virtually spitting on the flag.

You can't "demand" respect, you earn it. Rather than tear apart an institution, come up with a positive way to support your position. Be a leader, be an inspiration, be an American not a bunch of overpaid spoiled brats.

Why is it just football players?
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    First I think all professional athletes are way overpaid and have not been attending any event (read that as any sport) for many years now.

The fact that they are using the National Anthem and respect for our flag for another cause is what bothers me. If they want to protest something then fine. They are just tearing us apart by using this venue, it is almost like they are virtually spitting on the flag.

You can't "demand" respect, you earn it. Rather than tear apart an institution, come up with a positive way to support your position. Be a leader, be an inspiration, be an American not a bunch of overpaid spoiled brats.

Why is it just football players?
    To answer your question about "why is it just football players?"...maybe because football season is upon us...I think baseball teams learned a lesson back years ago when they went on strike and I don't think they have ever fully recovered from that...football may experience the same. It will be interesting to watch and see how it all unfolds when basketball season starts.

As for their pay, professional athletes and entertainers make the $$$ they do, because the paying consumers are willing to pay to watch their performances which in turn makes $$$ for the owners and developers of whatever it is they do...so, as much $$$ as they make those who are paying those salaries must feel they are "worth it" based on the amount of $$$ they bring in to those who own whatever endeavor it is they are involved in. The capitalism way of life--is it fair? Doesn't seem so when our lower-grade military, police, firefighters, teachers, many of the lower rungs of the medical arena barely make beans in comparison; but in our capitalist environment "supply/demand" reign and the consumers drive that boat. I am not advocating from changing our capitalist way of life, we as the citizens of this great country have the power of the purse and can make whatever changes we deem appropriate and how it will proceed. Are our ideals a "little off"? Often times they are; however, we have the ability and it is up to us to employee that power in a sane and logical way. Is it reasonable that the taxpaying citizens of a community with a professional football team in its midst that are playing in a venue that is often supported by taxpayers can't afford to take their family to see a game without taking out a second mortgage on their home? (See the chart below for the average price of a ticket to see a professional NFL game.)

I have always found it funny how we Americans go crazy when gas costs $3.50 a gallon, but don't blink an eye when paying $7 - $15 for a glass of wine with our $25+ steak. Or we willingly, without a giving it a second thought, pay $1.29 for a 16.9 oz bottle of water at a convenience store (making that water cost $9.71 a gallon) while paying for the $3.50 a gallon gas. We are more than willing to pay almost any price for our "enjoyment or entertainment" but resent paying for the necessities. Many pay $300 for a Coach handbag, or $200 for pair of jeans, and $150 every 8 weeks to keep our hair just the right color we've chosen rather than the color we were just naturally blessed with. We willingly pay $175+ to go watch a Keith Urban concert or from $86-$380 just to buy a ticket to an NFL game; but, we complain if our fruit and veggies cost enough to pay those picking it a living wage or farmers the ability to pay Americans what it would cost to legally hire them over illegal aliens who will work for peanuts.

Yet half or more of our population goes nuts when a politician suggests that the riches in our land should be more equally divided amongst our citizenry. You know those who teach our children and grandchildren, save lives in burning buildings, stop a speeding car with no idea if a gun will be pulled on them, leave their families and homes to go off to foreign lands to fight wars, draw the blood from our veins to determine what type of life-saving care we may need, or that make it possible that we eat a healthy diet...

Name:  pricing+preview.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  188.4 KB
    Last edited by KathyInAR; October 2nd, 2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: to add the chart I forgot to attach
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Likes R2D2 liked this post

Cracker Droid Baccarat Champion
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInAR View Post
    To answer your question about "why is it just football players?"...maybe because football season is upon us...I think baseball teams learned a lesson back years ago when they went on strike and I don't think they have ever fully recovered from that...football may experience the same. It will be interesting to watch and see how it all unfolds when basketball season starts.
    ....snip
    Great response Kathy....Thanks

BTW it is the overpaying of professional athletes that made me stop going to their "event". I refuse to contribute to the cult culture, especially when they are less then what we expect. They should be everyone's hero but they have let me down more that once in their antics.

I want to go on record that there are a few athletes that live up to these morals and those should be acknowledged and made note of.
    Last edited by R2D2; October 2nd, 2017 at 05:26 PM.
    R2D2
    Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee
    I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!
    Likes KathyInAR, Fastcar liked this post