The Republicans en masse are saying it's not the right time to talk about gun control. Respect for the families, they say. What crap! Just once, I'd like to hear an honest response from a Republican Congressperson. It might go like this:

"I don't want to talk about gun control. The NRA contributes to my election campaign, and I'd hate to alienate them. In addition, we have gerrymandered districts so heavily that most of my constituents support the NRA. So, I have to lie to you about this topic. Frankly, I want to be reelected. This is the easiest job I've ever had. I have a staff that summarizes complex issues into a daily briefing so I don't have to wade through pages of legislation, and the majority leader publishes directions on how Republicans should vote on critical issues. Since I also want to be selected for certain choice subcommittees, I have to curry favor with my Republican colleagues and the majority leader. My own personal beliefs can not be a part of any public conversation. All I can say is that I am sorry for the people who lost their lives, but my career and livelihood are really more important than the safety of the American public. Thank you, and I'm sure we will be talking about this subject soon."