Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Is it just me?

  1. #1
    Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Jeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Palm Coast
    Posts
    9,095
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Is it just me?

    So I am having my master bath redone. I have never had any remodeling done before, except when I do it myself. Decided to hire a company to do it. Cost $23,000, which is a fortune for me. Well there have been some problems. First they want almost $8,000 up front so they can order the stuff for my bathroom. Ok, so I give them the money. Then 4 days before they are contracted to start I still have not heard from them. It was about 5 weeks since I signed the contract. Took me four tries to get a response. Two days before they where to start I found out they could not get the tile I wanted. I had to race and pick another one or delay the start. Ok, pick another tile. Disappointed but I will live, shit happens. Thought it should have been ordered 5 weeks earlier and I should have been told sooner about it not being available. Then they tell me they cannot use the faucets I picked out and would need to substitute. Okay now I am more annoyed, then they install the wrong tub. At this point I am pissed off and let them know, they ignore me and only deal with my husband. Pissed me off more.
    Ok now we are coming near the end, 3 weeks later. They call and want the rest of the money, I say no, they are not done, then they say I can hold back $1000 just give them the rest, close to $7,000. Again I tell them no and tell them I will pay when job is finished and it passes inspection.
    Final straw today. I catch the guy washing paint brushes in my brand new bathroom sink. I have not even washed my hand in the sink yet and he is cleaning paint brushed in it! To say I was pissed was putting it mildly. I tell him off and he tell me he did not know.
    I complain to the company and they tell me it is coming to an end and enjoy my bathroom.

    So my question is, have you ever had any remodeling done and do you think I am right to be pissed off? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Piney-Woods Rooter

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,801
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    Pissed off? That's sorta up to you. Do you have a contract with this group or are you just paying them cash? If no contract and cash they should be discounting for cash as you know there will be no tax paid on it. Paying a third up front then a third midway and the final third when all and I mean everything is completed to your satisfaction. The brush's being rinsed, it is only latex no big deal.
    Remember remodeling sucks, don't stress about it.
    I have a "Coward in Chief", rather than a "Commander in Chief"
    Likes Jeannie liked this post

  3. #3
    Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Jeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Palm Coast
    Posts
    9,095
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    Thank you fast car. I have a contract with them and will not give them the final payment until it is completed.

  4. #4
    Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    KathyInAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    So I am having my master bath redone. I have never had any remodeling done before, except when I do it myself. Decided to hire a company to do it. Cost $23,000, which is a fortune for me. Well there have been some problems. First they want almost $8,000 up front so they can order the stuff for my bathroom. Ok, so I give them the money. Then 4 days before they are contracted to start I still have not heard from them. It was about 5 weeks since I signed the contract. Took me four tries to get a response. Two days before they where to start I found out they could not get the tile I wanted. I had to race and pick another one or delay the start. Ok, pick another tile. Disappointed but I will live, shit happens. Thought it should have been ordered 5 weeks earlier and I should have been told sooner about it not being available. Then they tell me they cannot use the faucets I picked out and would need to substitute. Okay now I am more annoyed, then they install the wrong tub. At this point I am pissed off and let them know, they ignore me and only deal with my husband. Pissed me off more.
    Ok now we are coming near the end, 3 weeks later. They call and want the rest of the money, I say no, they are not done, then they say I can hold back $1000 just give them the rest, close to $7,000. Again I tell them no and tell them I will pay when job is finished and it passes inspection.
    Final straw today. I catch the guy washing paint brushes in my brand new bathroom sink. I have not even washed my hand in the sink yet and he is cleaning paint brushed in it! To say I was pissed was putting it mildly. I tell him off and he tell me he did not know.
    I complain to the company and they tell me it is coming to an end and enjoy my bathroom.

    So my question is, have you ever had any remodeling done and do you think I am right to be pissed off? Thanks.
    Was the tile discontinued and no longer available? Why couldn't they use the faucets, would they not work with the sinks/tub or whatever? Did they remove the wrong tub and install the correct one? Like fastcar said, if it was latex paint that should be no harm as long as they don't any signs that paint brushes had been washed in the sink.

    I've haven't done any remodeling to the extent that you have. In my older house in Louisiana, I had new ceramic and wall-to-wall carpeting installed, painting inside and out, and a new roof. In my current house I had the new luxury vinyl planks installed in February and my tub converted to a shower last year. No problems with any of the work I've had done; but, I always use a company that is in business for whatever it is I need done. For the tub conversion I didn't pay a penny until the whole job was done (and the guy came from the Dallas/Fort Worth area without even asking for a deposit). For the ceramic tile put in my bathrooms and kitchen in my Louisiana house, I bought tile that the tile store had in stock and nothing had to be ordered so I didn't have to pay anything until after the job of completed. I had new carpeting replaced in the rest of that housed and I can't remember if I had to pay anything before it was finished or not, if I did it would have been a small deposit or I think I'd remember. When I had the new flooring put in my house in February, that was an $8,500 job, and I had to pay $6k for the purchase of the planks and thresholds when they ordered it and paid the labor after the job was completed. I didn't pay anything up front for the painting (but I did purchase the paint myself as my daughter-in-law was able to get it for me at a discount because she was a decorator and I picked it up in a store where I lived. A man that I used as a handyman and had done a lot of little jobs for me, did the painting and I didn't pay him until he was finished. When I first started using him he told me to not ever pay for labor until the job was completed and I was satisfied. For the roof, I didn't pay until it was completely installed and inspected.

    I didn't have any problems or been dissatisfied with any of those jobs. How you feel about it, is how you feel about it...but, it is you who suffers if it stresses you too much. I think it depends on the reasons for their not being able complete it as you had originally contracted for it...but I agree, I wouldn't pay for any labor until the job is done and you are satisfied per the contract.

    Enjoy your new bathroom...
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

    Likes Jeannie liked this post

  5. #5
    Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    ROOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Palm Coast, Florida, United States
    Posts
    21,026
    Blog Entries
    29
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    Don't give them another cent till its completed to your expectations! and I mean every speck of dust cleaned and every tile perfect . It is a lot of money and fast car is correct 1/3 down another midway when all materials are on the job and work is well underway and final payment only when you never want to see them again. next time do like all smart municipalities and put penalty clauses in for delays and changes in cost.

    make sure the inspector does his job and looks at every thing they touched.

    be sweet but persistent and critical.
    there is no proof whatsoever that the first word of it is truthful. Not one "fact" is has been corroborated
    Likes Jeannie liked this post

  6. #6
    Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Jeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Palm Coast
    Posts
    9,095
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    Thank you both. They had to rip out the wrong tub, ended up destroying it and correct one is now in. The tile was no longer available, I am not sure why they could not use the faucets I purchased. I think they would not work with the valves, they only talk to Mark. The valves had to be replaced anyway because the tub water only came in a trickle.
    I will not give them another cent until I make sure everything works as it should and they will not be here for the final inspection. I will be with the inspector this time.
    This company is suppose to have been in business 25 years and had all good reviews. Nothing with the better business bureau. Somethings seemed strange to me though. They have been doing this for years but would have to make 5 or 6 trips a day to home depot for things. I mean I know what I am going to do that day, I have all my supplies ready to go.
    I will be so glad when it is over, the stress is really getting to me. The fact that they only deal with Mark is so annoying, it is like I am invisible.

  7. #7
    Piney-Woods Rooter

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,801
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    Every contractor knows or at least should know that when it comes to the house the wife is the person who has final say. Apparently they haven't learned that yet.
    I have a "Coward in Chief", rather than a "Commander in Chief"
    Likes Jeannie liked this post

  8. #8
    Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    KathyInAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Thank you both. They had to rip out the wrong tub, ended up destroying it and correct one is now in. The tile was no longer available, I am not sure why they could not use the faucets I purchased. I think they would not work with the valves, they only talk to Mark. The valves had to be replaced anyway because the tub water only came in a trickle.
    I will not give them another cent until I make sure everything works as it should and they will not be here for the final inspection. I will be with the inspector this time.
    This company is suppose to have been in business 25 years and had all good reviews. Nothing with the better business bureau. Somethings seemed strange to me though. They have been doing this for years but would have to make 5 or 6 trips a day to home depot for things. I mean I know what I am going to do that day, I have all my supplies ready to go.
    I will be so glad when it is over, the stress is really getting to me. The fact that they only deal with Mark is so annoying, it is like I am invisible.
    Tell your husband to tell them the next time they go to him with something that they have to check with you, that you are the one that is making the decisions and that they need to discuss all issues with you...then, try and not let the stress get to you...the people who are causing the stress never suffer, so either be the stressee or the stressor...of course, certain situations just naturally have stress built into them; but, don't let it make you sick.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

    Likes Fastcar, slick, Jeannie liked this post

  9. #9
    Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Stumpy McDugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    1,928
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    I always pay in Thirds....1/3 up front, 1/3 in the middle, and the last 1/3 when inspection has been passed. This is just my way of doing things.
    Likes Jeannie liked this post

  10. #10
    Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Jeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Palm Coast
    Posts
    9,095
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    They installed the wrong toilet. I will live with it, I just want the inspection to pass and be done with them. Never again. I will do everything myself or just live with things the way they are.

  11. #11
    Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion
    KathyInAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    They installed the wrong toilet. I will live with it, I just want the inspection to pass and be done with them. Never again. I will do everything myself or just live with things the way they are.
    How in the world can they get the fixtures wrong not once, but twice?
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.


  12. #12
    Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Jeannie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Palm Coast
    Posts
    9,095
    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    The excuse was, "they gave this to me". I really wonder how often this happens.

  13. #13
    Cracker Bytch Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion
    Stumpy McDugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    1,928
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Is it just me?

    play hard ball, don't sign off on the inspection until everything is to your satisfaction

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •