Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Disability and on Facebook? Uncle Sam Wants to Watch What You Post

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion

Default On Disability and on Facebook? Uncle Sam Wants to Watch What You Post

Since there is no forum for regular national news that doesn't fall into the political; entertainment and sports; or health, science, technology or arts I figures this is as good as place as any to place this bit of national news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/u...-facebook.html

On Disability and on Facebook? Uncle Sam Wants to Watch What You Post

By Robert Pear
    March 10, 2019

WASHINGTON — If you’re on federal disability payments and on social media, be careful what you post. Uncle Sam wants to watch.

The Trump administration has been quietly working on a proposal to use social media like Facebook and Twitter to help identify people who claim Social Security disability benefits without actually being disabled. If, for example, a person claimed benefits because of a back injury but was shown playing golf in a photograph posted on Facebook, that could be used as evidence that the injury was not disabling.

“There is a little bitty chance that Social Security may be snooping on your Facebook or your Twitter account,” Robert A. Crowe, a lawyer from St. Louis who has represented Social Security disability claimants for more than 40 years, said he cautioned new clients. “You don’t want anything on there that shows you out playing Frisbee.”

In its budget request to Congress last year, Social Security said it would study whether to expand the use of social media networks in disability determinations as a way to “increase program integrity and expedite the identification of fraud.”

Since then, administration officials said, the White House has been actively working with Social Security to flesh out the proposal, in the belief that social media could be a treasure trove of information about people who are applying for or receiving disability benefits.

Some members of Congress, like Senator James Lankford, Republican of Oklahoma, and some conservative organizations, like the Heritage Foundation in Washington, have supported the idea as part of a broader effort to prevent the payment of disability benefits to people who are able to work.

But advocates for people with disabilities say the use of social media in this way would be dangerous because photos posted there do not always provide reliable evidence of a person’s current condition.

“It may be difficult to tell when a photograph was taken,” said Lisa D. Ekman, a lawyer who is the chairwoman of the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities, a coalition of advocacy groups. “Just because someone posted a photograph of them golfing or going fishing in February of 2019 does not mean that the activity occurred in 2019.”

Moreover, people are more likely to post pictures of themselves when they are happy and healthy than when they are in a wheelchair or a hospital bed.

More than 10 million people receive Social Security disability insurance benefits totaling more than $11 billion a month. Beneficiaries have paid into the system through payroll taxes.

President Trump is expected to detail several proposals to combat fraud in the program in his 2020 budget, to be issued on Monday.

Before he was an official presidential candidate, Mr. Trump said he would not cut Social Security.

When he announced his candidacy in June 2015, Mr. Trump maintained that position: “Save Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security without cuts. Have to do it. Get rid of the fraud. Get rid of the waste and abuse, but save it.”

But his budgets in the last two years have proposed reductions in the disability insurance program, which has been part of Social Security since 1956.

The president’s budget director, Mick Mulvaney, who is now also the acting White House chief of staff, has suggested that Mr. Trump’s campaign commitment does not cover disability benefits.

“Do you really think that Social Security disability insurance is part of what people think of when they think of Social Security?” Mr. Mulvaney asked on CBS’s “Face the Nation” in 2017. “I don’t think so. It’s the fastest growing program. It was — it grew tremendously under President Obama. It’s a very wasteful program, and we want to try and fix that.”

Brian C. Blase, a special assistant to the president for economic policy, has been coordinating development of the new proposals on Social Security. In 2014, Mr. Blase provided the staff work for a subcommittee investigation of the disability program led by Mr. Lankford, who was then a member of the House. Soon after he got to the Senate, Mr. Lankford proposed legislation to expand the use of “evidence obtained from publicly available social media.”

At present, disability examiners do not routinely look at social media. They can refer suspicious cases to the inspector general for Social Security, who may use social media to corroborate information from other sources in fraud investigations conducted with state and local law enforcement agencies.

The Trump administration contends that it could authorize greater use of social media by regulation, without action by Congress. Under pressure from the White House, Social Security has drafted a timeline that envisions publication of a final rule in the spring of 2020.

Michael J. Astrue, the last Senate-confirmed Social Security commissioner, has expressed misgivings about the idea.

“Social media sites are not exactly clear and reliable evidence,” Mr. Astrue, who stepped down six years ago, said at a Senate hearing in 2012. “Facebook puts up phony websites under my name all the time.”

That, he said, is “why you need professionally trained fraud investigators” to evaluate the information.

Few would say that the Social Security disability program was free of fraud. The government has secured guilty pleas from a number of people who concealed the fact that they were working in various industries while drawing Social Security disability benefits.

In one case, a 57-year-old Louisiana man pleaded guilty last month to theft of government funds. He had received $2,177 a month in benefits — a total of $242,000 — while employed by companies that did demolition work and job site cleaning. He also operated heavy construction equipment. He told federal investigators that the companies had been registered in the names of family members, rather than his own name, “so y’all wouldn’t find out about it,” according to court records.

In its latest financial report, Social Security estimated that it made $3.4 billion in overpayments to disability insurance beneficiaries in 2017, in part because of their failure to report work activities.

The program has been “riddled with problems, including fraud and abuse,” said Rachel Greszler, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation. When people who can work collect benefits, she said, “it drains the system for those who truly cannot work and support themselves.”

The administration’s focus on fraud comes as the number of Americans seeking Social Security disability benefits is plunging. The number of applications was down 29 percent last year from a peak of 2.9 million in 2010.

A growing economy with strong demand for workers is one reason for the decline, officials say. In addition, they speculate that with new technology and the potential for teleworking, it is possible for some people to take jobs even though they have medical conditions that would have precluded work in the past.

Social Security officials are considering other changes that could make it more difficult for people to qualify for benefits.

They are working with the White House to overhaul the way Social Security weighs various “vocational factors” — age, education and job experience — in deciding whether a person is able to work.

In November, Social Security proposed a new rule that would strip applicants and beneficiaries of their right to an in-person hearing before an administrative law judge, after some judges came under scrutiny for leniency in allowing disability claims. In 2017, a former administrative law judge for the Social Security Administration pleaded guilty for his role in a scheme to fraudulently obtain more than $550 million in federal disability payments for thousands of claimants.

Under the November proposal, Social Security could hold the hearings by video conference even if a claimant objected. With video conferencing, the agency said, it could improve service to the public and reduce wait times. At present, it said, nearly 860,000 people are waiting an average of 19 months for hearings to appeal the denial or termination of benefits.

But top Democrats responsible for Social Security policy in Congress denounced the proposal in a letter to the acting Social Security commissioner, Nancy A. Berryhill.

“This change would deprive millions of Americans of their constitutional right to due process and result in hearings which are less fair and less efficient,” said the letter, signed by Representative Richard E. Neal of Massachusetts, the chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, and Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon, the senior Democrat on the Finance Committee, among others.
    It seems to me that a more reliable form of investigation or ensuring that those receiving disability benefits are still disabled and unable to be gainfully employed would be some kind of schedule wherein medical/doctor certification is required such as yearly, or some other logical schedule.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Thumbs Up Jeannie liked this post

Default Re: On Disability and on Facebook? Uncle Sam Wants to Watch What You Post

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInAR View Post
    Since there is no forum for regular national news that doesn't fall into the political; entertainment and sports; or health, science, technology or arts I figures this is as good as place as any to place this bit of national news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/u...-facebook.html

It seems to me that a more reliable form of investigation or ensuring that those receiving disability benefits are still disabled and unable to be gainfully employed would be some kind of schedule wherein medical/doctor certification is required such as yearly, or some other logical schedule.
    I find that some have misunderstood the system and it's very saddening. Some seem to have a different agenda instead against those who use the system legally, but, let me explain something. BUT first, if someone is found to be disabled by any legally qualified sourse , does it mysteriously reverse it's self in some strange form or another? I would have to see this if it was the case! IF someone ends up disabled during working a straining physical job, more than likely they will be on disability for life. You can not say, 'WHAT IF THEY CAN DO THIS'?? WERE they doing 'THIS' at the time they became disabled?? Don't work that way. This don't mean that if the can walk, lift, run, etc. they automatically lose disability status, EVER. IF you look at the process to be considered disabled, most of them that don't end up wheel chair bound can mingle within crowds of people with no disability and you wouldn't even know it. I think the rules are way too lax though and I expected that you should have to be in a wheel chair or permanently use an physically assisted device but for now, it's not the case. You can walk just fine, be able to pick up moderately heavy items, walk so far at a time, maybe short runs with rest, etc. etc. and still quality as long as it impedes on your last employment type of work. NOT, what you can do today sitting at a desk, etc. IF YOU GET CAUGHT working what-so-ever, your disability is HISTORY, so don't get caught!! I, on occasion work with a buddy doing tree service only when he needs an extra hand, or another buddy when he needs a hand at the automotive shop, or other places places that is physically demanding. You get super rich doing this and I do love money...I do not make it a point to make it known that's for sure and I'll never get caught cause I'm just that good.. I get paid under the table. I just like to help out and I love physical jobs. Been doing it for many years now and it helps with the kind of toys I like to own. I am taking it easy for 6 months now though because of my recent surgery and because I comfortably can. It's been a month and a half now and I feel great and my balls don't hurt, and I'm not going to hamper that. I have enough to keep me busy around my own shop anyway for now. I'm trying to decide on what my next toy will be for my collection.....
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn.

Default Re: On Disability and on Facebook? Uncle Sam Wants to Watch What You Post

Getting arrested for posting items on FB or having ANYTHING used against you on FB such as Disability Fraud is nothing new.....Being a Lumberjack as I was in California for many years back has always been my passion no matter where I am!! And YES!!! By all means, omit anything you do for a livin' from FakeBook, home of trolls, but not limited to FB as we know!!! FakeBook is as fake as the far left Democrat idiot cult groups as we know them....
    Name:  OnTopOfTheWorld.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  112.2 KB
    No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn.

Founder Mahjongg 3D Tile Set 1 Champion, Gorillaz Tiles Champion, Nile Tiles Champion, Snow Day Champion, Food Mahjong Champion, Calculation Solitaire Champion, Calculation Solitaire Easy Champion
    Blog Entries

I rarely post anything on facebook, I mostly like other peoples posts. I warn the kids to watch what they post on there put they ignore me.
    Thumbs Up slick liked this post

I keep coming on here figuring maybe, just maybe, there will be something different. However, it is just the same 2 or 3 people arguing about the same thing day after day, week after week, year after year. As far as social media goes, anyone posting on FB is an idiot. So many times I see in our local news when something happens to someone, whether it be murder, suicide or just an accident, the news media jumps on FB and prints the last picture and/or the last statement that a person made. For the most part FB is a lie. Either people are posting that they are deliriously happy or suicidal. People really need to think about what they are posting on social media. Just saying.
    Thumbs Up ROOT liked this post

Sadly some here as on FB tend to exaggerate or flat out BS their way along to make themselves feel important and to be more that they actually are. It is sad, perhaps pathetic that yet they feel the need to do so. But it is what it is, one has to wade through it all or ignore the biggest offenders to make any site enjoyable.
    The real National Emergency resides in the White House. Lock him up!!!
    Gratitude KathyInAR Was Grateful for this post

Founder Middle East - Geography game Champion, Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Master of 3 Peak Champion, Win One Million Sec Edition Champion, Face Eater Typing Champion, Miami Zombie Typing Champion, Cross Clear Champion, Cute Connect Champion, Almost Millionaire Champion, Did You Know: Christmas Champion, Globez Champion, MathBlocks Champion, Mess in the house Champion, Fruit Faces Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Hexa Pool Champion, Eye Pop Champion, Alien Pop Champion, John  Mary Memory Champion, Cup Cake Memory Champion, International Holiday Match Champion, 4 Dragons Champion, Quix 2 Square Champion, The Numbers Champion, Mah-jong Mayhem Set 1 Champion, Suma Novel Champion, Sweets And Cakes Mah-Jong Champion, Math And Match Champion, The Painters Daughter Champion, The Dark Side Of The Forest Champion, Turquoize Room Objects Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmom View Post
    I keep coming on here figuring maybe, just maybe, there will be something different. However, it is just the same 2 or 3 people arguing about the same thing day after day, week after week, year after year. As far as social media goes, anyone posting on FB is an idiot. So many times I see in our local news when something happens to someone, whether it be murder, suicide or just an accident, the news media jumps on FB and prints the last picture and/or the last statement that a person made. For the most part FB is a lie. Either people are posting that they are deliriously happy or suicidal. People really need to think about what they are posting on social media. Just saying.
    I know it is certainly off topic of the thread; but, I would like to invite you to start threads with things you are interested in. I agree we could use some new topics and I as well as (I am sure) other members would welcome them. I hope that you will enjoy your time here.
    "...of no more satisfying conceit than the discovery of such hidden depths of character in one's own child..." - From Survive the Savage Sea

I keep coming on here figuring maybe, just maybe, there will be something different. However, it is just the same 2 or 3 people arguing about the same thing day after day, week after week, year after year.
    I agree and it's way beyond childishness pouting and delirious tantrums at best. All you can do is keep checking. Thank goodness you would have to pay to be part of the mentally abused though. Just sayin'

Founder Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Being a Lumberjack as I was in California for many years back has always been my passion no matter where I am!!
    Jeffrey, I'm calling you out on that image. That's an image that can google'd and is in the public domain. It's a stock image that many, many tree services use on their online webpages, including Angie's List. All I had to do was right click that image and click "Search Google for Image".

Your deceit is unwelcome.
    Thumbs Up R2D2, ROOT liked this post

I think it is safe to assume that those who hide the fact that they are able to and do work while also drawing a Social Security disability are not only committing fraud against every person who has ever worked or will work and pay into FICA; but, I suspect that in most cases they are also guilty of income tax fraud if they are working "off the books" because otherwise if they are being paid and income and FICA taxes are deducted and submitted to the federal government it would likely trigger the fact that there is both an earned income and a disability benefit being paid. Lots of crooks never get caught...but they are still crooks and are hypocrites if they present themselves to society as law-abiding citizens.

Name:  do the right thing.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  48.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy McDugal View Post
    Jeffrey, I'm calling you out on that image. That's an image that can google'd and is in the public domain. It's a stock image that many, many tree services use on their online webpages, including Angie's List. All I had to do was right click that image and click "Search Google for Image".

Your deceit is unwelcome.
    Very good and congratulations and did you know, even a cave man could do it!! It is indeed a google image of someone who obviously loves his job trimming and removing trees.... I never said otherwise. I never said anything really... OMG, did you think that was me?? Yes, I see a resemblance in the muscular build but never claimed it to be anyone I knew of at all really. I see images on this site from all over the net just like I did here. OMG, I'm so sorry, must I post a credit to google when I use a photo from the net?? I didn't see a copyright label. You're welcome to call me out anytime Stumpy. BTW, your point is??

Jeffrey, I'm calling you out on that image.
    And believe me, that job 'pretty boy' has as a 'poser' is a cheese puff job compared to what lumberjacks can do and do very well on a daily basis. I call him a 'small fries' tree trimmer in a residential area. Ain't nothin' to tying a rope around a limb and cutting the branch and lowering it to the ground. Kid's stuff if you ask me. Sing with me......

Founder Zookeeper Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Zodiac Master Champion, Staries reflection 2 Champion, Gem Swap Deluxe Champion, Bling Bling Blaster Champion, Farm Hustle Champion, Ancient jewels 2 Champion, Candystand Mah-Jongg Champion, Ancient Shapes Champion, War of Thrones Champion, Pro Football History and Stats Champion, College Football History, Stats, and Trivia Champion, Baseball Stats and Trivia Champion, Animal Trivia Champion, What Do You Know? Champion, Match O Rama Pigs Champion, Pretty Penguins Champion, Jocker Champion, Candy Crush Champion, Midas Mahjong Champion, Mahjong War Champion, Mahjong Devil Island Champion, Cactus McCoy Champion
    Blog Entries

Sing with me....

I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
    He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette

Founder Fling a Thing Champion, Deep Freeze Champion, J B Snowman Punch Champion, Operatin Maboule Champion

BTW, your point is??
    Nothing you say will be taken as fact, only hearsay.

That has been true no matter what identity it he uses.
    The real National Emergency resides in the White House. Lock him up!!!
    Thumbs Up Stumpy McDugal, slick, ROOT liked this post

NOW you're catching on buddy!!!!! Good job!! I'm off to my hard core yoga class now. Gotta stay in shape for my next sky diving debut in Fresno next week..

And how's about another lumberjack song LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by sundealer View Post
    Sing with me....

Bahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's funny but where's the original outdoor version?? Never mind, I posted it LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did someone say Facebook??
    Name:  Typical Libturd.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  62.4 KB
    Last edited by Jeffrey; March 13th, 2019 at 09:35 PM.

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries

I keep coming on here figuring maybe, just maybe, there will be something different. However, it is just the same 2 or 3 people arguing about the same thing day after day, week after week, year after year.
    And by making a post you have made something different and increased the number of participants.

If our community wants to preserve our little space on the internet that is free of the Facebook perils then
    #1 SHOW UP AND POST to let yourself be counted as participant not an observer
    #2 INVITE your neighbors and local friends
    #3 START a conversation
    #4 SHARE Links to our site
    The scent of fresh cut grass is plants screaming.
    Abolish Lawns and golf courses!
    Suppression of grasses is an inter-kingdom hate crime.
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries

Did someone say Facebook??
    Name:  Typical Libturd.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  62.4 KB
    MEDs are kicking in hard it appears
    The scent of fresh cut grass is plants screaming.
    Abolish Lawns and golf courses!
    Suppression of grasses is an inter-kingdom hate crime.
    TAX TURF NOT EARTH
    LOL Fastcar, slick Laughed at this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast