Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I medicine Man

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I didn't realize I had left this with so few pictures

This is the entrance in 2009 a pretty wet year before any work was done My primary purpose at the ranch this trip was to complete the landscape for the new entrance (Thermopylae) at the Barkochba. But as always on my adventures to the mountains I have lots of Projects to make my self worthy. The Medicine wheel was one of those bonus projects were cowboy gave me the hint and I ran with it.
    After watching the Into the west series and shopping for stone to do the entrance, and working out a plan for moving some big boulders that were on the property I worked this into the plan as I coordinated contractors and equipment rentals in between the wood shop at night and waiting on subcontractors to complete there task on the Gate structures .
    Columns and fence finished  base coat of drive downI have an Info site for the ranch we are working on that explains all of the meanings of the gates art work so I won't try to detail it out here. but I will outline some of the projects I completed last fall . We have worked on this project for years and several artist were involved and we contracted a brick sculptural company to turn the sketches into a structure. We wanted to widen the entrance so that a full size horse trailer could pull in from either direction and be off the road while the gate was opened .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rough.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	2602
    With very little water available and irrigation not an option as this is a good 2000 feet from the house and the fact we didn't want to distract from the gates and obscure it with the limited types of durable plants that are hardy at 8500 feet. I decided to used large river stone for a ground cover. Gravel while easy to work with has a lot of spaces between the rock and inevitably fills with organic matter that compost and develops weeds but the big stones don't have this problem to such a degree and even when left for long periods with no regular maintenance.
    The existing aspen were cared for and established so there was no reason to start over with that so I worked with them. the slope was pretty steep at the road and the transition to a completely natural area immanent so in order to bank and level the area I gathered some big boulders from the property to make a retention that was to scale with the surrounding mountains.

Name:	spa.jpg 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	2605I Assure you I gave that little Bobcat a work out while I had it. for a week Not only did I bring the biggest rocks I could carry down from the mountain, I also move several tons into the creek for erosion control and to slow the water down and keep surface water for as long as possible for the wild life and horses . I also had to do some storm water diversion on the back side of the gate so we didn't have all the water from the hill coming down and pooling on the back side of our foundation . I was trying to be as efficiant as I could by multi tasking and taking some of the good topsoil from the bottom back up to the house were it is much more rocky and needed more suitable wildflower medium. and to build up arround the front of the deck I had built the year before.

Name:	prettyrocks.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	2606It was a accumulation of a few years of Planning in the back of my mind and really worked out very nice. Although I could easily spend several months a year out there.
    Unfortunately our 200 acres don't have the prettiest of stone, it is mostly ash and volcanic riff raff. but just over the mountains toward Salida is the Colorado River and it does have some beautiful stones that are sinfully cheap as compared to the price of any rock in Florida do I ordered four truck loads after visiting the quarry One of the largest river rocks to hold the edges and create a more natural appearance mixed in with the medium size One of the Medium to small and two with 3/4 gravel for the road bed to match.

Name:	handplace.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	2603I was able to move them from the dump pile with the bobcat but in order to keep any dirt off the top of my weed mat and give it the best chance at endurance they had to be placed by hand . this was especially challenging because it had started getting really cold and the circulation in my fingers is restricted because of the near amputation from a previous injury so the cold really made them ache, not to mention the multiple times I pinched them while placing these 30-70lb rock.

Name:	final.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	685.8 KB 
ID:	2607
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    there is no proof whatsoever that the first word of it is truthful. Not one "fact" is has been corroborated

Retired Account
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a vacation! I have been craving fresh air and open spaces and looking at this is making it worse!
    I never seen a medicine wheel and how cool is that? I have to look up what that means, very interesting.

Stikini Slayer Penguin Pass Champion, Block n Roll Champion, Attack Of The Fan Girls Champion, Falafel King Champion, Donkey Tail Champion, Little Protectors Champion, When Penguins Attack TD Champion, Grid Iron Champion, Z-Wars Champion, Tribal Jungle Fruit Quest Champion, Open Source Rock Paper Scissors Champion, Nature Race Champion, DirtyColor Champion, American 8-Ball Pool Champion, Gumball Line-up Champion, Digi-Digi Champion, SevenYo! Champion, Firebug 2 Champion, hit the target Champion, Guns Defense Champion, Robot In The Hole Champion, Chicken Licken Champion, Gemollection Players Pack Champion, Fred's Pick Up Tour 3 Champion, Korrode Champion, Zaptonia Defense Champion, The Eggs Mystery Champion, Underwater TD Champion, Easter Defence Champion, CrissCross Champion, Rooftop Sniper Champion, Dragon Ambush 2 Champion, Zombie Smash Tower Defense Champion, US Border TD Champion, Underworld TD Champion, Zombie Trailer Park Champion, Potion Panic 2 Champion, WDYK? 3 Urban Lingo Champion, Bloons Tower Defense 4 Champion, Medicine Dealer Champion, The Blocks Revenge Champion, Animal Catcher Champion, Zombie Disposal Champion, Omg Scary Smiley Champion, The Flame Champion, TumbleDots Champion, Politricks Champion, Pirates Champion, City Digger Champion, redwhite slice Champion, Grammachnophobia Champion, Tabla Champion, Pixelshocks' Tower Defence II Champion, DropSum Champion, Blackbeard's Island Deluxe Champion, Short History of the World Champion, Anatomicus Anatomy Game Champion, Socium Champion, Magic Defense Champion, Bowmaster Champion, Kingdom Of Saguenay TD Champion, Ninjas vs Pirates TD 3 Champion, WasteLand Defender v2 Champion, Red Red Champion, Lucky Coins Champion, Handless Millionaire 2 Champion, TOTWO DARK Champion, Take a Walk Champion, Beat Chaser 2 Champion, 1 Will Survive Champion, Lines Game - Master Champion, Mickey Ball Champion, Windowcleaner Eyetoygame Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	bluelights.jpg 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	2608We used a solar powered gate opener so I was able to ad some LED lights to the columns which really look neat and are not near so much light pollution as the long exposure makes them appear. With the help of copious amounts of Wild turkey to keep my extremity circulation maximized I was able to get them all placed while at the same time reserving the pretty and most uniform softball size for my auxiliary project the Medicine wheel. Since it was not my primary I had to make sure I had enough to complete the entrance before I started the Medicine wheel and and had a very limited time with the Bobcat so from daylight to dark I ran the bobcat and after dark I went to the wood shop.
    After making the maximum use of the Machine to get all of my materials in place and returning it

Name:	lay-out.jpg 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	2609 I was able to acually start on the Medicine wheel. I went to the commercial quarry and bought some specimen boulders for my point stones, in all of this I wanted the biggest things I could move and while moving all of the stone found the mother Stone for the hub on the property it had a great horn shape on it to point to the north and being a precision driven guy made sure everything was laid out perfect. with the stars . Using string stakes and a transit I began to lay it out in the center of the circle part of the drive. It was just in time because it came a good snow . It didn't last long but it was enough to cover the ground and make the mountains pretty .

Name:	bench.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	2610It was a good thing one of my first projects was a little bench for taking my boots off outside because house cleaning was the last thing I wanted to do. and the snow made it a muddy mess outside. This little bench was made with no glue or nails and minimal sanding , I mimicked some of the constructions techniques I had seen in Egyptian artifacts I saw in the Louve and British museum. with the wedges it should be able to be tightened if shrinking occurs. I really wish I had more time for the wood shop but I have to do the projects that Cowboy wants first . That was completed in the summer of 2010.
    My personal projects always involve my wood shop were I have a nice stock of beetle kill Pine that I processed a few years back cutting the trees and sawing them into lumber and curing them. I made a few picture frames in 2009 from some of the thinner pieces but it was just this last year that I felt the wood was stable enough to start doing furniture. I also have very limited equipment that I have collected by visiting pawn shops in Colorado springs. each time i made the trip into civilization. Taking raw lumber to finished product involves several steps that are not involved with the finished lumber you see at building supply stores and some of it is very expensive.

Name:	unfinished.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	2612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scrap.jpg 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	2613 Every thing you see here is done with the most basic of tools that I have had to buy for more domestic projects. I have a goal that most everything I do use minimal connecters so I have practiced my hand cut dovetails and grain matching skills with smaller projects reserving the prettiest wood for something spectacular
    He did have an order in for a book case and I completed this one. I did cheat a little and used lap joints and gorilla glue but the shelves are seated in the sides and I dare say you could fill it with lead books and have no fear of it sagging. It is so dry that when using that glue I have to wet the wood first so it have enough water for the reaction to happen. every project has to be dimensioned to the wood. while some boards are 16 inches wide on one end trees taper to like 10 inches on the other . I try to work with minimal waste. Working from raw slabs I have to center and cut each piece which creates a lot of scrap I could sure use a wood stove out in the shop and a dust collector. I save every usable little board Even what you see here is likely to be used in a picture frame. but the neat thing is I can match grain because every tree is sorted and filed soClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pawntresure.jpg 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	2614 I have the book matched piece right there and for the most part I can mirro image everything with details that may not be obvious to the non observant.

The wood is really pretty and this is still the least pretty pieces I am saving the good stuff for some elaborate projects next go around and of course the picture frames make the best use of the rarest pieces. and hopefully with more tools than my pawn shop treasures .

Name:	linseed.jpg 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	2611All this needs is a good coat of linseed oil to bring out the beauty. Iit is food safe drys quickly smells nice and after a day in the sun can come inside for it permanent home.

Name:	bookshelf.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	2615
    there is no proof whatsoever that the first word of it is truthful. Not one "fact" is has been corroborated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12